E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I currently have a six speed and have been pondering the idea of an SMG... Any positive feedback would be appreciated from SMG owners out there! Again it's my daily driver and to me I think it would be more suitable...

Any helpful input much appreciated.

·
Registered
44 Posts
tytanium04 said:
I currently have a six speed and have been pondering the idea of an SMG... Any positive feedback would be appreciated from SMG owners out there! Again it's my daily driver and to me I think it would be more suitable...

I love it in my 330I M package (Canada only) - There is an art to driving it quickly - I believe you need to have experience with a stick so you understand what's happening mechanically. One of the best features of SMG is the ability to use the paddles on the wheel to shift (e.g. talking on cell phone - I know I shouldn't be). The auto mode drives like a very poor automatic or better put, someone behind the wheel of a stick who's not very good. I always have mine in sport mode (I only have this to choose unlike SMG II), I find the regular mode shifts too slow for my taste. The SMG for me is the only way to go - I'm not caught up in all the traditionalist BS - These systems will eventually replace the clutch peddale in all but the econo cars - They're fastser for all but the very skilled driver, less hard on wear components and provide fuel use numbers the same or better than a manual with a clutch... I'm a huge SMG supporter and if I had opted for the M3 that's what would be in it...

·
Registered
404 Posts
there are days i love it, and there are days i wish i got manual... no regrets though. it's a pretty nifty system. days when i'm sitting in stop and go traffic are when i'm glad i got smg. i drove a manual for my whole life so far and really wondered if i should be getting smg when i spec'ed out the m. then i decided that i'm starting to get tired of pushing a clutch in traffic... so smg it was.

in regards to parking, it's like a manual. there is no park. you put it in 1st and pull the e-brake.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Its a snore to drive.. my buddy has one and he regrets ever getting one. I think once you drive stick for awhile... you don even notice the pain in traffic.

If you cant drive, why drive a bimmer?

·
.--. . -. .. ...
4,682 Posts
How do you pull in slowly tho? When I park, I just feather the clutch, getting it to move foreward slowly. How would you do this w/ SMG?

·
Registered
393 Posts
cowmoo32 said:
How do you pull in slowly tho? When I park, I just feather the clutch, getting it to move foreward slowly. How would you do this w/ SMG?
There is no slow in SMG, you have to be quick all the time since SMG is true racing transmission built only for race... J/K... clutch engaging is all depends on gas pedal with SMG. If you want to move forward slowly, you just press the gas pedal lightly then it will engage clutch slowly and let the clutch slips little bit...

·
.--. . -. .. ...
4,682 Posts
mybada said:
There is no slow in SMG, you have to be quick all the time since SMG is true racing transmission built only for race... J/K... clutch engaging is all depends on gas pedal with SMG. If you want to move forward slowly, you just press the gas pedal lightly then it will engage clutch slowly and let the clutch slips little bit...
Sweet...that's better than I thought it was. I wanna try it now.

·
Registered
290 Posts
SMG for sister and mother????

hey guys

my family is considering getting a SMG 330i. my sister and mother have no clue about manuals

does SMG have a feature to just put it in drive mode and drive??

or do you have to manually shift up and down??

the car with the specific options we want is only available with SMG

all input would be appreciated

-Ray

·
Registered
45 Posts
I miss driving a manual.

I see how SMG is great for the track. But for normal everyday driving, an ordinary driver has more than enough capacity to enjoy operating the clutch and gears. Using a manual uses up more of the driving capacity in you.

I look at the two as toys. SMG is an easier toy to play with, but a Manual gives you greater enjoyment.

That being said, I love playing with new toys! And the SMG is definitely the newer toy. So I really wanted to try it out.

I like SMG, but as I said, I miss driving a manual.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Smg

there is "gradient assistance" for use in 1st gear or reverse. you just pull the downshift lever on the wheel for 2 sec- the RPMs go up slightly-and the car is held stationary

·
Registered
44 Posts
CoolJ said:
there is "gradient assistance" for use in 1st gear or reverse. you just pull the downshift lever on the wheel for 2 sec- the RPMs go up slightly-and the car is held stationary
M3 only - not on 3 series - you can left foot brake, however the clutch take-up is quick enough that you can control roll back...

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would get the SMG just so I can...

tytanium04 said:

I would get the SMG just so I could install these new SMG shift paddles or "Shift Blades" by Strassentech.

My favorite feature of the SMG allows the driver to shift gears without ever having to let go of the steering wheel (exc. reverse of course).

M-Builder

·
Registered
234 Posts
rciraco said:
how do you park the car with an SMG??

i see there is no "P" on the SMG instrument panel :dunno:
Just like any other manual tranny, you leave it in gear. In fact if you turn off the engine when in neutral an alarm chime will sound to remind you to put in gear. Of course you can ignore the chime and it will stop after about ten seconds. You also should use the parking/emergency brake as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts