BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I have a carbon fiber M3 hood and it didn't come with pre drilled holes for the hood latch. I'm wondering if this is a common issue? My shop is saying that they can't do it because there aren't any holes. The hood is slightly rubbing the fenders near the windshield with a wider gap btwn the fenders and hood near the headlights. Is this common with the M3 hood retrofit? Can I use this hood without the hood latch (I am going shock less) Please help :(

·
Invalid User
10,937 Posts
the fender issue is normal. you'll need to loosen some bolts up and readjust the fender. as for not having holes drilled, you'll just have to drill and thread them urself. look up the m3 hood diy.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The latch is the little handle thing that pops out when you pop the hood to allow you to unlock it and lift the hood. I have an aftermarket CF hood and it didnt come predrilled with the hole to install the latch. Not sure how to go about installing it :( I searched but no info.

·
Registered
14,643 Posts
The latch is the little handle thing that pops out when you pop the hood to allow you to unlock it and lift the hood. I have an aftermarket CF hood and it didnt come predrilled with the hole to install the latch. Not sure how to go about installing it :( I searched but no info.
tape it to the hood. like really really well. just mess a round with that until you get it somewhere where it works. then drill out the holes.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So if drilling holes in the fiberglass underportion of the hood, would it be secured enough to not pop off when I unlock it to lift the hood? Do you know if it's just drilling holes and screw with bolts?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Once you get the holes drilled go ahead and rivet it in place. Bolts will come loose or might be in the way. Unless you get low profile bolts and locking nuts...Will cost less to get rivets though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts