E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question: Looking to lease a new 330i.....Can the lease and registration be in my name and the insurance under my mothers name? I have some tickets on my license that I got recently and would like to keep insurance costs low.

Would the insurance company find out that the car is mine because it is leased and registered to me? I would think that they wouldnt because all you have to do is give them the details on the car and the VIN number.....

Would BMW let me lease the car this way? Not much knowledge how insurance works....

Thanks for the replys........

·
Registered
813 Posts
I don't know if it works or not, but even if it did, you'd be screwed in case of an accident, I'd think.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Capp75 said:
Quick question: Looking to lease a new 330i.....Can the lease and registration be in my name and the insurance under my mothers name? I have some tickets on my license that I got recently and would like to keep insurance costs low.

Would the insurance company find out that the car is mine because it is leased and registered to me? I would think that they wouldnt because all you have to do is give them the details on the car and the VIN number.....

Would BMW let me lease the car this way? Not much knowledge how insurance works....

Thanks for the replys........
Are you going to be listed on the policy with your mom with her as the named insured/principal operator and you as a secondary operator, or are you looking to have the car on her policy w/o any mention of you?

If it's the latter......bad idea. What if you wreck the car while driving it and need to file a claim? If your not listed as a driver on her policy, the insurance company could deny the claim for a number of reasons, first and foremost being, your mom's policy is insuring vehicles that are registered to her or other drivers listed on the policy. This car would be registered to somebody not covered by the insurance policy.

The insurance company probably wouldn't find out (unless you filed a claim of course) - they'll usually ask you if your the registered owner, but they don't generally require any proof. However, i'd guess BMW would require insurance info, with you listed, to complete the lease agreement.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You should put your name on policy ether way, in NY insurance companies are very strict. When you sign an lease, you may have to put your mom as a cosiner (you have to check with the bank you are doing the lease with)
When doing insurance put your mom as primary driver and have you listed as like 5-20 percent of driving.
Check with Geico for cheaper policy, they are pretty cheap.

·
Banned
642 Posts
or get her as the owner of the leased car and insurance only on her, no mentioning you.. anything happens while you drive will be her fault but since she's alot older then you it will not go up as much...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think that what you all were saying is not totally correct. Let's assume that the insurance policy is on your name, does that mean that nobody can't drive your car? In that case, that no one could ever drive you car till you will add them to the car's insurance. Remember, even when you go for the driving test to get your license, they only require that car's insurance, and they don't care if it's on your name or somebody else's name since the actual car is insured. This is just my .02.

·
Registered
125 Posts
turb0 said:
or get her as the owner of the leased car and insurance only on her, no mentioning you.. anything happens while you drive will be her fault but since she's alot older then you it will not go up as much...
That will not work, unless he changes his address or moves out. Insurance companies check for licensed drivers at the address they insure. If they havend done so when you start the policy, they sure will if there is a claim to be paid. They will find ways to not pay.

·
Registered
0 Posts
my mom works in an insurance agency so I sorta know this... you can't have the car registered under your own name and have the insurance under a different name, i don't think that could be done. As for the driving of a car that's not under your name, there's a policy in the insurance clause that has to do with liability, which covers for any drives of the car up to a certain amount (depending how much you pay on your insurance and all that other stuff). It all really depends what kind of insurance you have. I know there are some cheap ones that just covers damages your car made and NOT your car... so if you are thinking about putting the car under your mom's name, pick a good insurance policy that has YOU on the policy, otherwise if you get into an accident your mom will have to go thru a lot of trouble and her insurance payment will increase.

·
Registered
33 Posts
AeroHil said:
my mom works in an insurance agency so I sorta know this... you can't have the car registered under your own name and have the insurance under a different name, i don't think that could be done. As for the driving of a car that's not under your name, there's a policy in the insurance clause that has to do with liability, which covers for any drives of the car up to a certain amount (depending how much you pay on your insurance and all that other stuff). It all really depends what kind of insurance you have. I know there are some cheap ones that just covers damages your car made and NOT your car... so if you are thinking about putting the car under your mom's name, pick a good insurance policy that has YOU on the policy, otherwise if you get into an accident your mom will have to go thru a lot of trouble and her insurance payment will increase.
so aerohil, basically anybody that has a good insurance( such as State Farm, All State etc.) should be able to drive their friends' car or their parents' car. It only makes sense, like I said on my previous post.

·
XX
375 Posts
My car is leased (Dad co-signed) and registered under my name. I am under his insurance. I am listed on his policy as the primary driver of my car, and both his and my name appear on my insurance card. I think there would be a problem if I was not listed under the policy. The best thing to do is call up your insurance and ask them.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Here's the deal. If you live in the same house as your mother, then you are required to be listed on the policy. If she fails to list you, then you are not permitted to drive the car. If you drive the car and have an accident, you are not covered. The insurance companies have this provision for obvious reasons: to prevent people from avoiding the insurance premiums for the undeclared driver.

This applies to same household drivers but does not apply to other drivers. Therefore an occasional drive by a friend or relative that does not reside in the same house is covered if there is a claim.

Lastly, even if you do not live in the same house as your mother, and you listed your mother as the primary driver, you'd be asking for trouble. If you had a claim and they somehow found out that you were the primary driver, you would not be covered.

The insurance companies have really protected themselves on this one. You'll need to suck it up and pay the premium.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When you go to a BMW dealer they require you to bring or have faxed an insurance card with a declaration page that shows the limits of policy, deductible and named insured. This is the first obstacle. The second is that every insurance company is on line with DMV and knows who the registered owner/lessee is. If you lease the vehicle BMW FINANCIAL NA is the owner.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts