BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've heard several story about people turning off DSC when racing another car. is that supposed to give u a better start??.......can someone explain this?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
That way your car won't be grabbing at the ground when you launch...actually, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

·
Registered
688 Posts
If you search the old threads, there should be something about it. If I recall correctly, it's to keep DSC from engine braking when the rear wheels start to spin at launch.

·
Registered
158 Posts
DSC does alot of stuff.. but basically it brakes the wheel(s) that are spinning faster then the others. Corner braking. This helps keep the car stable and straight so you don't slide around.

In road course racing, you want to slide the rear to point the nose correctly at the apex of a turn. If you don't slide, then you go slower and therefore lose. People can drive very smoothly on a road course, and still slide with DSC on. But to be the fastest you can be, you are not smooth at all and need DSC off.

In drag racing, when your rears are spinning because you drop the clutch at a high rpm, your DSC will apply brakes... and you launch much slower.

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
2,354 Posts
With the DSC on, the car will realize that you're trying to put a lot of power down to your rear wheels, so the DSC kicks in and doesn't let as much power get to the wheels. With DSC off, you'll be able to spin your tires and be able to launch better. I hope that makes sense. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha i am not racing on the streets i need more mods for that ........i just wanna know why ..........thanks guys for the info

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
i generally have the DSC off at all times unless i'ts raining.. simply because it comes in unnecessarily sometimes at turns and when u first start the car the car will jerk a little as the brakes are applied and engine speed controlled...

i know it may not be the smartest thing to do, but much more control with DSC on and i definately feel like i'm driving and not being driven

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,348 Posts
Yes DSC retards the engien combustions and forces the engine to make less power therefore stopping the lose of traction, with DSC off you can make all the power the engine is capable of and spin the tires freely, wasting valuables pieces of rubber compound from your extremely expensive tires, and causing a bad odor from the burning rubber, but it sure is fun :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Turning off DSC

First - I hope we're talking about a track >wink<

I wouldn't agree that turning off DSC is always better.

The implication was that you NEED to "toss" the car through the corners. Despite what people may say "tossing" the car ALWAYS scrubs off speed! It may however help you find a shorter racing line through the course which saves time. The question is can you save more time getting the right line than is lost "tossing" the car. If you have a perfectly handling car that can get through the corner (with more driver practice) you will definitely be wasting speed. It looks cool, but nothing else. You don't see Montoya, Schumacher or Probst drifting through corners.

If you are on a road course or Auto-X, it completely depends on the car (its suspension, gearing and HP/Torque profile). Some cars do not respond AT ALL to this method.

My experience is it typically only applies to front-heavy cars or cars that otherwise understeer (like Mustangs). You can't get them pointed in the right direction (unless you have a seriously worked suspension). As a result you purposely let the back drift out by flicking the wheel. You lose a TON of speed, BUT with the big torque of the V-8 and the right gearing/shifting you can quickly get back to speed. A 300zx (NA) is classed the same in SCCA Auto-X with the Stang and z-28, but don't try the same approach as they don't have enough torque to pull this off. You MUST finese them through the corner. They are neutral handling for the most part and will not respond to this tossing. They can actually beat the v8 cars if you are real good.

Drag racing is another story ...

If you launch too hard, the trac control kicks in and cuts engine power. There seems to be a lag before the BMW will come back to full power, so maybe there is something to be said for turning it off - provided you can launch better than a computer. Still you don't want to spin your wheels at ALL if you can avoid it. ;) ;)

·
May the farts be with you, always
6,726 Posts
remember if u street racing..turning of dsc wont do jack...
you still cant burn out...turn DSC and ASC off. u know, the hold the dsc button 5 sec til brake light turn yellow trick.:thumbup:
becareful;) dsc if for turning..and asc if for tire spin control

if u just turn dsc off your not goin nowhere when u drop the clutch..remeber turn asc off too..

I suggest u never touch the dsc button tho..thats why our cars are so bad azz..u cant really mess up.. unless u hit that selfdestruct button..

·
Registered
367 Posts
for the 2001's I notice that when you hold it down there is no brake light that comes up like the 2002's. The DSC just stays amber and you can't turn it off anymore. Does that mean DSC and ASC is completely off, and is there any other way to turn it back on w/o hvaing to restart the car?

·
6,726 Posts
biggiestuff said:
for the 2001's I notice that when you hold it down there is no brake light that comes up like the 2002's. The DSC just stays amber and you can't turn it off anymore. Does that mean DSC and ASC is completely off, and is there any other way to turn it back on w/o hvaing to restart the car?
i have 2001...start the car...push and hold DSC button..hold ...hold...then bam a yellow brake light apears..
if you got good rubber it'll bone out when you drop clutch...i usually drop it 3.5k-4k rpm.
ZOOm ZOOm ZOOm

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,348 Posts
MachRc said:
remember if u street racing..turning of dsc wont do jack...
you still cant burn out...turn DSC and ASC off. u know, the hold the dsc button 5 sec til brake light turn yellow trick.:thumbup:
becareful;) dsc if for turning..and asc if for tire spin control

if u just turn dsc off your not goin nowhere when u drop the clutch..remeber turn asc off too..

I suggest u never touch the dsc button tho..thats why our cars are so bad azz..u cant really mess up.. unless u hit that selfdestruct button..

Tires still spin without turning the complete Traction Control System off.

·
6,726 Posts
tpzblu330ci said:

Tires still spin without turning the complete Traction Control System off.
yea like 1 sec..thenn errrrr ..like not goin nowhere..dat how i got smoked by a 4runner..

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,348 Posts
MachRc said:

yea like 1 sec..thenn errrrr ..like not goin nowhere..dat how i got smoked by a 4runner..
Not for me

1 - 20 of 21 Posts