E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend is looking to buy a 2000 323Ci with a heavy amount of milage on it. I thoguht i rememberd somehting about the 2000's having a subframe problem. Is this car maybe affeted? is it possible that it could have the damage too? She wants to know if she should look for a different year or model...whats your oponion? :dunno:

·
Registered
415 Posts
Stevo759 said:
My friend is looking to buy a 2000 323Ci with a heavy amount of milage on it. I thoguht i rememberd somehting about the 2000's having a subframe problem. Is this car maybe affeted? is it possible that it could have the damage too? She wants to know if she should look for a different year or model...whats your oponion? :dunno:
yes car is the "potential" year range. However does not gaurentee that she will problems. I would consider other problems arising from a high milage car that has no warrantee.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Stevo759 said:
The subframe problem affects every e46 models. This is easy to spot; all you have to do is look at problem area and you can easily tell you got the problem. My 323ci has 58k miles and still going strong no subframe problems.

·
Para-Magic
634 Posts
put it on a hoist. i beleive the problems are where the dif mounts into the rear subframe, it will be cracked and in some cases the metal has fatigue'd and failed and the mount has broken right out.. someone also told me that the swaybar mounting points can break as well... i have a 2000 323ci and have no subframe problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
112 Posts
i wouldn't go for it, spend a couple extra and get a 325ci or a 330ci. there's a couple polls on this site that showed it is more frequent with the 323 and 328s

it just happens all of a sudden. mine didnt show any issues when i got it. how many miles does it have on it? its seems to occur in most by at least 70 kmiles. if its way over that though, maybe you are OK...

Stevo759 said:

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,326 Posts
A couple notes:

-Problem appears to be MUCH more prevalent with coupes (though it does occur on sedans from time to time).
-Along those lines, 328's seem to suffer a bit more than 323's, though not by a particularly significant margin.
-Cars driven in warmer southern climates (better roads and no winters/winter road salt) are less likely to have issues, given the nature of mild extremes that they are subjected to.
-All other factors aside, and despite the doomsday prophecies that constantly sprout in this forum, your worst possible chances of a subframe failure are probably only about 1 in 10.

·
unregistered user
809 Posts
I think that price would be the determining factor whether or not I'd buy the car...If you get a real sweet deal then maybe you can justfy taking the chance of having to pay for replacement parts on it. How good is the price on the car??

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
just inspect the car to see if there's any signs the subframe is cracking. It's an exspensive job to get it fixed properly. (cutting out the bad sections and rewelding in new sections of the subframe).

Personnaly... buy the newest used E46 you can afford. later models have less issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts