BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
my 3rd e46, 1st ///M
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
& had a question...I replaced my OEM pads w/ the Hawk GPS but kept my OEM rotors...I followed the procedure written on the box (moderate braking after getting to 30-35 mph 10 times, followed by hard braking after gettting to 40-45 mph 3 times), however now I'm getting big time squealing from all 4 rotors/pads...

is there anything i can do at this point?

thanks for any advice

·
Flying Monkey Herder
443 Posts
did you put antisqueal or high temp brake caliper grease on the backs of the pads?

I had squealing when i first put in mine. CRC antisqueal worked for a little bit. the only lasting solution i had was to coat the backs of the pads and all contact points with high temp brake caliper grease.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,182 Posts
you just need to do this

the anti squealing greese on the back of the pads. that will do
the trick.
bobm3

·
my 3rd e46, 1st ///M
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Orient330iNYC said:
did you put antisqueal or high temp brake caliper grease on the backs of the pads?

I had squealing when i first put in mine. CRC antisqueal worked for a little bit. the only lasting solution i had was to coat the backs of the pads and all contact points with high temp brake caliper grease.
where can i buy this stuff? any brand names or anything? thanks orient330inyc & bob

·
Mooove, get out the way!
1,120 Posts
I replaced my front brakes with Hawk HPS pads (with the stock rotors) about 6 weeks ago. They squealed for about the first 10 days, and since then, they haven't squeeked since. I love the pads, I need to get some pads for the rear.

I also bought anti-squeal stuff, but never got around to using it since they stopped squealing.

·
my 3rd e46, 1st ///M
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mtfour, did you replace the rotors as well or just the pads? thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hawk pads suck, i spent tons of money trying to get rid of the squeal, found out that the pads suck, they are too hard and was just destroying my rotors, i hate them, and think this is the worst mod you can do. don't waste your money, go and buy OEM pads,

·
my 3rd e46, 1st ///M
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
xdrunkenstylesx said:
hawk pads suck, i spent tons of money trying to get rid of the squeal, found out that the pads suck, they are too hard and was just destroying my rotors, i hate them, and think this is the worst mod you can do. don't waste your money, go and buy OEM pads,
that's what i'm afraid i may end up doing

·
Flying Monkey Herder
443 Posts
I believe the grease was made by CRC. got it at autozone. I also pulled the thin sheet metal shim off the back, it was getting bent up. after pulling that and the grease, no squealing at all.

of the lower dust options, hawk HPS is the best. havent had any experience with Axxis Ultimates, but i heard they dust more than the HPS.

Axxis deluxe have almost no dust, but you lose alot of stopping power, esp in the wet. had those for about 4Kmiles before i tossed them. too unpredictable in the wet and lots of fade.

been about 8-10K miles on the HPS so far.

·
my 3rd e46, 1st ///M
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mtfour said:

How long have you had the pads on your car?
today's the 2nd day

·
Mooove, get out the way!
1,120 Posts
2 days? I had Midas in Bethesda put my pads on. They told me that they would squeek for a little while, and then it would go away. My pads squeeked like CRAZY for the first 8-10 days. Then the squeeking completely went away. Not a single squeek in the last month, and I drive ever day during evening rush hour from Adams Morgan to Rockville. Maybe you should give it a little more time, to see if the squeeking goes away.

I was pissed about the squeeking at first, also, the pads dusted just as much as oem pads at first. Then, once that 10 day period was gone, they dusted much, much less than my rear pads do. These pads are awsome, stopping power is excellent, and I want to replace my rear pads asap.

·
my 3rd e46, 1st ///M
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WarSong said:
hmmm, i've been thinking about getting these pads but now i'm hesitant :eek:
i'll post again next weekend re: mtfour's statements in the post above yours; hopefully, i'll have a similar experience

·
Obey my dog
2,643 Posts
kidsdoc said:

i'll post again next weekend re: mtfour's statements in the post above yours; hopefully, i'll have a similar experience
please do man, i'd appreciate it. good luck with the pads. i hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Listen to the advice in the first messages. Put some anti squeal on the back of your pads and you'll be fine.

I have exactly your setup, stock rotors and Hawk pads. I used the
"Noise Free" from bavauto.com and they are dead quiet. :thumbup:

Hope that helps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts