BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to getting it all together. So here it is. Please no flames on the way its set up, i did it just to get up I will make it look pretty later.

For all those who want to know here ya go...

http://john.northsyde.com/DIY/DIY.htm

Enjoy...

The short of it is like this. It took me about 3 hours and you will need basic tools and a dremel. I didnt know at first you needed to cut up the console but you will. You will need to only cut the underside of the console to make room for the switch. You will not need to remove or cut the carpeting to make it fit...

This was a very simple mod, even though the need for a dremel was there anyone could do this themselves , with some pactience and time...

Good luck all

John V

·
frequent tire purchaser
654 Posts
Good write up..... although you don't say what to do with the green 12v wire. I'm assuming the push button only has two wires and you simply connect the second one to the green wire, but you probably only want to tap it and not cut it right??

·
Registered
22 Posts
Where can I order this pushbutton starter?
and if you choose to only be able to start the car with the button, what happens if you you try to move the key past #2 Pos?
thanks

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Zimmerkid, I bought it from namotorsports.net they have it for $45. If you turn the key nothing happens:D another anti theft device...

BAVARIAN323i, 3 hours and I would rate it a 5, its not hard but you need to have a dremel, not everyone has one...it moves up the scale because of that, IMO. thanks about the sig

Banana_Bread, LOVING IT!!! I have run into a few car friends already and they are drooling over it... its just a great little extra:thumbup: You know it...

·
[]D[][]V[][]D[][]\[]
2,782 Posts
john de man :D imma look into this mod :pimpin:

·
'a certain moderator'
35,562 Posts
john, i am all about this inexpencive, yet so damn cool mod! i will get around to it sooner or later... u have it so the ignition now will not start the car, what do u think the chances are that the button could "fail" and thus leave you stranded wherever u are?

thanks for the DIY, and props for the sig :thumbup:

-brendan

·
Town Clown
15,001 Posts
major props for getting the writeup done and sharing! :thumbup:

I think I've learned more than a few things from just reading the stuff you've got on your page! :bow: :bow:

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
simsima325 said:
john, i am all about this inexpencive, yet so damn cool mod! i will get around to it sooner or later... u have it so the ignition now will not start the car, what do u think the chances are that the button could "fail" and thus leave you stranded wherever u are?

thanks for the DIY, and props for the sig :thumbup:

-brendan
i dont think the switch will fail, its a really simple set up actually. the button just connects the circuit. It shouldnt fail... i hope. I always carry my tools with me, if it does fail I can bypass it.

Yes the key doesnt start the car anymore... its my anti theft device:D

Mtnbound, thanks a lot. i have put a lot of time into the page and its always changing, so keep checking back.....

Bredan, come on down and I'll help ya when your ready to install the starter button...

John V

·
Evil McGriebel
132 Posts
Great DIY, but 2 of your pictures are not linked to a larger view...

·
ROI-ndian
1,213 Posts
where do you relocate you cigarette lighter socket to? b/c i have stuff like my cell fone charger i like to use

·
Town Clown
15,001 Posts
Delirium said:
where in the car is that button located?
In the trunk, right under the spare tire. j/k (end of the work day here, getting slappy) - it's plunked right where the cigarette lighter is.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts