E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

So I'm in the market for a higher mileage e46 M3 (100k miles and up) and I was wondering if there is anything wrong with buying higher miles M3 oppose to lower mileage ones. My guess would be everyone would need to be replaced anyways and if maintained properly mileage shouldn't be too big of a scare. What do you guys think?

Also what is the yearly maintenance & repair cost for e46 M3? Including Oil changes, tires , brakes (consumables) and unexpected repairs?
Thanks and any help would be awesome. :excited:

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Hey everyone

So I'm in the market for a higher mileage e46 M3 (100k miles and up) and I was wondering if there is anything wrong with buying higher miles M3 oppose to lower mileage ones. My guess would be everyone would need to be replaced anyways and if maintained properly mileage shouldn't be too big of a scare. What do you guys think?

Also what is the yearly maintenance & repair cost for e46 M3? Including Oil changes, tires , brakes (consumables) and unexpected repairs?
Thanks and any help would be awesome. :excited:
High mileage ones have been driven like this:

Low mileage ones have been driven like this:

Be prepared to pay this for maintenance:

Or just search. Your questions have been covered 100s of times.

·
Registered
33 Posts
like these people said there are tons of threads of things to look for when
buying high mileage M3's. Vanos ... SMG unit (if applicable) ... proper maintenance (documented oil changes, fluid changes, valve adjustment is very important... the list goes on and on. Especially with a high mileage m3, be prepared to spend a serious amount of coin to make this amazing car last for as long as possible, but if maintained properly, these cars will last for ages.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just curious about how much on average does it cost a year to maintain it ? would 1-2$ be a safe amount ?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
33 Posts
it would be safe... depending on previous maintenance. a new smg pump is roughly 3k. but depending on the health of the car I would say that is a fair estimate.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it would be safe... depending on previous maintenance. a new smg pump is roughly 3k. but depending on the health of the car I would say that is a fair estimate.
ahh i was planning on getting a smg . how reliable are the pumps and how often do they last if replaced ? i read somewhere its a hit and miss . some had theirs broke early while some still has it stock at 100k. i guess its a lottery lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
ya it sort of is. all depends on how it was maintained (if at all). When I bought my smg m3, it had 80k on it and the dealer JUST replaced the pump. I don't do any track or any launching, and I service my car as much as possible, so I am expecting this second pump to last another 100k or so. like I said though, it all depends on how hard it was driven. My recommendation is to stay away from an smg unless you are SURE it's either brand new or under some kind of warranty. they are big bucks to replace.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
for maintenance i change my oil every 5K miles: $100.00
fuel for a full tank: 50-60 bucks every 2 weeks
Inspection II: $1350.00

on the safe side, set aside a couple of thousand for unexpected events.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maintenance a year runs about 3000 to 5000 a year!

whoa!! is this accurate ? so 5 years of ownership is 15-25k? if this true this is way more expensive than i thought and fairly discouraging . i was reading on a thread, i thought people agreed its 1k on a good year to 2.5k$ on average .

·
Registered
3 Posts
whoa!! is this accurate ? so 5 years of ownership is 15-25k? if this true this is way more expensive than i thought and fairly discouraging . i was reading on a thread, i thought people agreed its 1k on a good year to 2.5k$ on average .

Yes, I'm 21 and I bought a 2006 m3 with 57,000 miles which was well taken care of. Many people told me the same thing and I didn't believe them. I've had my car for 4 months and I already put more then 1900 in maintenance. Now I can just imagine how much a high mileage one will be.
At one point these cars were worth over 50k, So this is not your ordinary honda you can get away with cheap parts. Something to think about man.
The 1,000 dollar range from my opinion are those cars that are garage queens who are hardly driven, I'm sure you wouldn't buy an m3 with high mileage to keep it In a garage. Since they are hardly driven it's less likely something will go wrong.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yes, I'm 21 and I bought a 2006 m3 with 57,000 miles which was well taken care of. Many people told me the same thing and I didn't believe them. I've had my car for 4 months and I already put more then 1900 in maintenance. Now I can just imagine how much a high mileage one will be.
At one point these cars were worth over 50k, So this is not your ordinary honda you can get away with cheap parts. Something to think about man.
The 1,000 dollar range from my opinion are those cars that are garage queens who are hardly driven, I'm sure you wouldn't buy an m3 with high mileage to keep it In a garage. Since they are hardly driven it's less likely something will go wrong.

My car is not a garage queen. I baught it with 46k and so far only did oil changes because that was all it called for. So far I put 18k on it in 18 months so not really a garage queen. Now this year will be different. I will need inspection 2 which is 1300$ at Indy and 4 new tires at 1000$ +. And thats because nothing has broke. These are strictly maintanance items. So for 1.5 years it was about 300 in oil, but this year it will be 2500$. And that is with NOTHING failing, these are strictly maintanance items. Now you could see how if anything breaks this year I could easily reach 4k or more. Thats why maintanance records are important when buying a higher mileage one. Technically if it was never worked on and everything is on its lest leg you could spend more on maintanance and repairs then the price of the car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My car is not a garage queen. I baught it with 46k and so far only did oil changes because that was all it called for. So far I put 18k on it in 18 months so not really a garage queen. Now this year will be different. I will need inspection 2 which is 1300$ at Indy and 4 new tires at 1000$ +. And thats because nothing has broke. These are strictly maintanance items. So for 1.5 years it was about 300 in oil, but this year it will be 2500$. And that is with NOTHING failing, these are strictly maintanance items. Now you could see how if anything breaks this year I could easily reach 4k or more. Thats why maintanance records are important when buying a higher mileage one. Technically if it was never worked on and everything is on its lest leg you could spend more on maintanance and repairs then the price of the car.
for the 18k in 18 months , what exactly was the could of costed that much ? and that was with the car being at 48k? sounds like you replaced everything in car at once . engine and transmission brakes suspension and more ? at low milage and still ended up costing that much this car is either extremely unreliable or its cost of repair is very unreasonable .

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
for the 18k in 18 months , what exactly was the could of costed that much ? and that was with the car being at 48k? sounds like you replaced everything in car at once . engine and transmission brakes suspension and more ? at low milage and still ended up costing that much this car is either extremely unreliable or its cost of repair is very unreasonable .
He stated he spend $2300 on tires ($1000) and inspection 2 ($1300). If you don't know what inspection 2 is, or why it costs so much, please go do some research rather than posting.

Criticizing the information pprovided by someone trying to help is unwise considering you clearly have not researched the maintenance required on these vehicles. There's lots of great threads on the subject, go read them before posting again.

·
Registered
555 Posts

18k miles in 18 months, no I didnt spend 18k on maintenance. LOL.

·
Registered
38 Posts
With some DIY research/skills, youtube and paying a Forum Member for a valve adjustment ,an owner can easily save $500 PLUS on an Inspection 2....its not hard........Simply put, make the car your hobby and you will save BIG TIME!!! Or be lazy and pay (does not matter what make you drive)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
With some DIY research/skills, youtube and paying a Forum Member for a valve adjustment ,an owner can easily save $500 PLUS on an Inspection 2....its not hard........Simply put, make the car your hobby and you will save BIG TIME!!! Or be lazy and pay (does not matter what make you drive)
thanks this feels so much more reassuring . i plan on taking time and tackling problems myself . i diy most issues on my e46 325i atm and it hasnt been costly at all .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts