E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a suv backed into me and in positive the tow hitch did most of the damage but any ideas what else could have been damaged i know i need a new hood and headlights but i’m not sure what else.
Automotive tire Sports gear Helmet Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
a suv backed into me and in positive the tow hitch did most of the damage
Why didn't you blow the horns or put in reverse and run?
Check:
if elec fan can turn without rubbing something
radiator bent and small leak
coolant connection between radiator and tank.

Was Mike Tyson driving that SUV?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why didn't you blow the horns or put in reverse and run?
Check:
if elec fan can turn without rubbing something
radiator bent and small leak
coolant connection between radiator and tank.

Was Mike Tyson driving that SUV?
i was leaving a store when i seen it happen down the street, sadly as soon as he hit it he took off so no info

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very possible the upper radiator support is damaged as well. Possibly the aux fan, as was mentioned above. Did you get the offending SUV driver's insurance info?
sadly not so i have to fix it myself, it’s my first car too so i’ll have to learn and diy a lot of it

·
Super Moderator
2004 325i automagic
3,883 Posts
i was leaving a store when i seen it happen down the street, sadly as soon as he hit it he took off so no info
Bastard .... any available security cam footage?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the fan shroud got bent a bit so it made the elec fan unable to spin but i zip tied it another direction and it spins now, it looks like a lot of things got pushing into forward a bit as my coolant cap now touches the air filter box

·
Registered
134 Posts
Don't stress too much. You will need to repair/replace some of the plastic parts, but with some plastic pry tools and metric sockets you can take the front apart into about a hundred pieces. Some plastic weld-glue, patching cracks with spare material or a few parts from a junk car, you can put it back together as good as new once you bend the radiator support back in place.

Expect a new radiator, to be needed, possibly the AC condenser. Bonnet obviously, and some minor plastics once you have it apart and can see what is really bad. Once the lights,bumper and all the plastics are off, (best as the will otherwise break when you start straightening the support), it will be good to get someone with some experience to help you pull the existing support back to the original position/shape with a snatch strap around a post (or something).

Another option is to buy a new/replacement support and tear it down further to replace it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't stress too much. You will need to repair/replace some of the plastic parts, but with some plastic pry tools and metric sockets you can take the front apart into about a hundred pieces. Some plastic weld-glue, patching cracks with spare material or a few parts from a junk car, you can put it back together as good as new once you bend the radiator support back in place.

Expect a new radiator, to be needed, possibly the AC condenser. Bonnet obviously, and some minor plastics once you have it apart and can see what is really bad. Once the lights,bumper and all the plastics are off, (best as the will otherwise break when you start straightening the support), it will be good to get someone with some experience to help you pull the existing support back to the original position/shape with a snatch strap around a post (or something).

Another option is to buy a new/replacement support and tear it down further to replace it.
thank you This is much help will Junkyard most parts, i haven’t driven her since the accident about 3 weeks ago I have started it though so the battery is charged

1 - 13 of 13 Posts