E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the PSS9 kit on my 330i this weekend, here are some before and after pics. I still have at least a quarter inch to go in the front and rear, but I wanted to let the springs settle first. I don’t want to slam the car; I just want to lose the wheel gap. Plus, I am putting on some BBS RG-R 18s next week and maybe that will fill the wheel well a little more. After about two weeks I will get the car aligned. I have a couple questions about that….

After the car is aligned, will I have to get it realigned if I:
1. Change the dampening? (For track days)
2. Change from 18s to 17s and vice versa? (Again, I plan to run my 17s on the track)

I can't really review the overall ride yet because I haven’t been able to push the car on any twisties yet. But in city driving, I would say the softest setting, which I am running right now, is about 10% stiffer than the stock sports suspension. I will give a more complete review once I have more time behind the wheel.

Before

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
looks nice.. bring the ass down :) :)
I don't think I like the rear lower than the front. I want the same amount of gap in the front and rear. That being said, I will probably go a little lower in the front and rear.

And yes, that is an '02 hood. :thumbup:

After - Side Shot

Attachments

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
5,457 Posts
looks great.! that MAero front can alost pass for a tornado front =)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Italia do you have the fronts at the lowest setting. If yes is the tire size 225 45 17.

Drop looks good though. Did you notice that if you want to achieve even gaps at the front and rear the rear sticks high. It's because the front and rear fenders are not in straight horizontal.
:)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Re. setting and tire size...

Sean`02///325ci said:
Italia do you have the fronts at the lowest setting. If yes is the tire size 225 45 17.

Drop looks good though. Did you notice that if you want to achieve even gaps at the front and rear the rear sticks high. It's because the front and rear fenders are not in straight horizontal.
:)
I still have about a 1/4 of an inch more in the front and a little more than that in the rear if I want to go lower. Yes, that is 225/45 17 in the front.

Thanks for the info.:thumbup:

Doesn't anyone want to tackle the quetions that I posted in the original post? :dunno:

After the car is aligned, will I have to get it realigned if I:
1. Change the dampening? (For track days)
2. Change from 18s to 17s and vice versa? (Again, I plan to run my 17s on the track)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hi Italia,
Thanks for the feedback. As i understand you won't have to get it re-aligned since the front camber cannot really be adjusted(except for the passenger), only the toe-settings and caster settings which would be set once you align it (don't know about Caster though if that's adjustable in our cars).
As for the rear, the toe-in is adjusted and the camber (with the help of the the little nut in the lower-control arm).
After this you can drop your car and/or change the rebound adjustments, go for 18" wheels, without the need for re-alignment.
As for the drop here is what i found out.
The tire diameter on rear stock tires (245 40 17) is 24.7" whereas the fronts (225 45 17) are 25/25.1".
I have the rears 255 45 17 (25")and the fronts 245 40 17 (24.7") which has decreased to 24.5" because of wear.
So i plan to go for 225 45 17 (25.1") Yokohama AVS 100 and take off the rubber pad between the strut plate and spring.
This will reduce the gap by 0.4" further.
I did the same on the rear i.e. took off the upper rubber padding and to get around the noise i put some masking tape on the springs. (Plan to do it for the front srut as well). This helped in dropping the rear another 5 mm.
The other advantage to this is, direct feedback from the road because the rubber padings are no longer there to insulate the tiny bumps.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts