BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
**Disclaimer - I'm not a tuner. I've mucked with megasquirts and gotten cars running but not enough to squeeze hp out of a car.

Story: I have the MS43 tuner pro software and use it to remove sap and delete EWS and stuff. A friend with a 325 got a shark tune but it requires you to virginize before you can do their tune. So I pushed his virgin file, did the shark tune, then redid the sap delete/etc.

What I found: Just for giggles, I did a diff between his stock virgin tune and the shark tune. I've looked at the old 330 shark tune I have (prior to turner acquiring them) and it modified a TON of settings that I didn't understand. This new turner version of the shark tune is minimal at best. I see no vanos tweaks and no fuel map tweaks. I do see a fuel multiplier (ip_ti_fl_n) and maybe a fuel on throttle map change (ip_ti_pvs_pvs_n).

Along with the normal limiter removals and raised redline, I see a TPS remapping (different than the old shark tune). I also see lowering of various knock sensor details. Mostly normal stuff.

The reason I'm making this post is the spark map. I've attached the diff between the virgin and shark ignition map. It's literally just an advance of 3.8 across the board. Idle, low load, all of it. Cold start ignition map is the same too. Again, I'm not a tuner, but a blanket 3.8 advance does not sound right to me. I'll delete the thread and eat my words if someone smarter than me can chime in here.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
**Disclaimer - I'm not a tuner. I've mucked with megasquirts and gotten cars running but not enough to squeeze hp out of a car.

Story: I have the MS43 tuner pro software and use it to remove sap and delete EWS and stuff. A friend with a 325 got a shark tune but it requires you to virginize before you can do their tune. So I pushed his virgin file, did the shark tune, then redid the sap delete/etc.

What I found: Just for giggles, I did a diff between his stock virgin tune and the shark tune. I've looked at the old 330 shark tune I have (prior to turner acquiring them) and it modified a TON of settings that I didn't understand. This new turner version of the shark tune is minimal at best. I see no vanos tweaks and no fuel map tweaks. I do see a fuel multiplier (ip_ti_fl_n) and maybe a fuel on throttle map change (ip_ti_pvs_pvs_n).

Along with the normal limiter removals and raised redline, I see a TPS remapping (different than the old shark tune). I also see lowering of various knock sensor details. Mostly normal stuff.

The reason I'm making this post is the spark map. I've attached the diff between the virgin and shark ignition map. It's literally just an advance of 3.8 across the board. Idle, low load, all of it. Cold start ignition map is the same too. Again, I'm not a tuner, but a blanket 3.8 advance does not sound right to me. I'll delete the thread and eat my words if someone smarter than me can chime in here.

OP you just confirmed what I said at the end of my thread. ECS/Turner does not have Jim's original tune(s). Good work :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Honestly I feel like it would benefit ecs/Turner way more if they would just be up front about the tune on the shark injector and work with people to make a product similar to the original tune on the shark/a tune that people can actually see gains with. And then offer people that have purchased a shark with the "less than advertised" tune a reflash with the new one. They have the resources to do that fairly easily.

Then people that are unhappy with the current shark will be satisfied, future buyers of the shark will be satisfied and ecs/Turner will have a better repor with everyone. But that's just the way I would do it if I were them:dunno:

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
So ECS/Turner bought the Shark Injector brand/product without the tuning files, then uploaded their own trash and sold it as a Conforti tune? What happened to the real tunes?

FWIW I bought a Shark Injector last year for my 2005 ZHP and love the improved throttle response, but did not notice any change in power.
I purchased mine on July 24th of 2017 when they had a sale going on. The only time the Shark Injector was sold for less than $350 was when it first came out. Other than that their has never been a sale. I can only guess it happened around that time to kick start the sales. Yours might have been purchased with Conforti's tune on it vs the first grade tune created in Ohio by ECS.

Honestly I feel like it would benefit ecs/Turner way more if they would just be up front about the tune on the shark injector and work with people to make a product similar to the original tune on the shark/a tune that people can actually see gains with. And then offer people that have purchased a shark with the "less than advertised" tune a reflash with the new one. They have the resources to do that fairly easily.

Then people that are unhappy with the current shark will be satisfied, future buyers of the shark will be satisfied and ecs/Turner will have a better repor with everyone. But that's just the way I would do it if I were them:dunno:
Part of the reason they have been able to pull the wool over our eyes is who is going to put their car on a dyno or hell do what the OP did? Most don't and never will, when people install stuff on their car a lot of the time the butt dyno/placebo effect takes over. To me it looks like first graders created that tune. I feel terrible for those who wasted money. :(

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So ECS/Turner bought the Shark Injector brand/product without the tuning files, then uploaded their own trash and sold it as a Conforti tune? What happened to the real tunes?

FWIW I bought a Shark Injector last year for my 2005 ZHP and love the improved throttle response, but did not notice any change in power.
The throttle response tables look ok. But you bought a chip for more than that. they make throttle mods. It's not super aggressive like the old shark tune, but it's fine.

If anything, I could see a loss in power or no change at all. No vanos changes, no real fuel map changes other than a multiplier.

It's likely over fueling and down low it might gain some hp where things over lap? I'm not sure.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
The throttle response tables look ok. But you bought a chip for more than that. they make throttle mods. It's not super aggressive like the old shark tune, but it's fine.

If anything, I could see a loss in power or no change at all. No vanos changes, no real fuel map changes other than a multiplier.

It's likely over fueling and down low it might gain some hp where things over lap? I'm not sure.

I lost power, no change in my redline (look at ODBfusion logs), could not feel a change in the throttle response. Super bummer

I'm assuming we could do this for an MS45 car also? If so I'm going to see if I can compare new vs old. Reaching out to BMW owners in the PNW. That is unless you do it first.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't looked into MS54 stuff. I'd have to basically physically have you here to read the stock map, then reflash the shark map, and then look at the difference. I do have a bench setup. But then you'd have to send me your DME and the shark tuner dongle.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
I haven't looked into MS54 stuff. I'd have to basically physically have you here to read the stock map, then reflash the shark map, and then look at the difference. I do have a bench setup. But then you'd have to send me your DME and the shark tuner dongle.
Only way to get the tune would be for me to buy it again. I sent it back to Turner last year. If I can wrangle up some locals near me that might have purchased it recently and in the past I'll have dudmd tuning, which is a shop 40 minutes south of me review the tunes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts