BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mentioned this in another thread and sent a few out already. This is an upgrade over what comes from the factory/with replacement reservoirs. Had one installed for a couple years now and no more weeping fluid from the cap.

7 remaining and this thread will be updated as they are claimed.

PM me a mailing address and I will send one your way. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
That was quick! All have been claimed.

In the interest of keeping this going, I am going see if I can find another source to buy these in bulk and keep sending them out.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: The Amazon source I originally bought these from is showing a 1-2 month delay. I found another source - super low cost but with the way their shipping works, I had to order a large quantity of them...meaning more to send out!

Should arrive in 5-7 days. I would like to verify that the size is indeed the same and then will confirm here.

Some of you understandably asked for 2 o-rings for your multiple vehicles, so if you don't mind waiting a little bit, I can send you 2.

Very nice of you to give back to the forum!
My pleasure! Just a small gesture in appreciation for all the shared knowledge and helpfulness of others (most certainly including you, Scott, with your generous DME update services).

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,478 Posts
that's nice of you.

didn't know this was an issue, haven't noticed it leaking there on my cars. Always heard it was the vent hole in cap that allowed fluid out during aggressive driving. :dunno:

people have fixed that by a number of ways like:
1) barbed fitting in vent hole to a hose
2) "sock mod" you can look it up here on forum
3) Q-tip mod.

but if the old seal gets flattened and a new one helps I can believe it.
just mentioning there may be more than one issue causing leaks up around that area.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
No thanks. It's the cap imperfection that caused the leak, not the seal.

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1021110

After this fix, my bottle is still dry clean in many years with same OEM seal.
All instances I've seen were caused by the seal - completely flattened out and virtually invisible, as if it's part of the cap.

The Viton seals worked in all these cases, and I am yet to see a PS reservoir cap that got one of these to start leaking again.

By the way, I still have a few Viton seals out of the pack of 10 I bought like 5 years ago.
If anyone is willing to drive to West LA to get one - send me a PM. I don't have time to deal with shipping, sorry.

·
Registered
E39 E90 E46 F10
4,923 Posts
Perfect timing too since mine has started to leak again. Was waiting for a larger order to buy one then your offer shows up. Very eager to try Viton for this application since this is replacement #3 in 178k miles.

Thanks again Knight!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
All instances I've seen were caused by the seal - completely flattened out and virtually invisible, as if it's part of the cap.
It cannot be flattened out. Look at the bottle brim: the inner corner was chamfered and so the new o-ring seal formed into a triangle section. Anyway it's not the seal material but the casting line of the cap that caused the leak in most cases.

·
Registered
526 Posts
that's nice of you.

didn't know this was an issue, haven't noticed it leaking there on my cars. Always heard it was the vent hole in cap that allowed fluid out during aggressive driving. :dunno:

people have fixed that by a number of ways like:
1) barbed fitting in vent hole to a hose
2) "sock mod" you can look it up here on forum
3) Q-tip mod.

but if the old seal gets flattened and a new one helps I can believe it.
just mentioning there may be more than one issue causing leaks up around that area.
same here. not an issue. did the sock mod long time ago, removed since not needed, but nice having a handy sock to wipe oil off dipstick after oil level check. reservoir just get dusty, and sometimes very little moist.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hello there Knight your pms are full. Just thought I would say if you happen to get anymore of those viton orings I would be greatful for one.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts