BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, searched the forum, didn't see this anywhere.

Power steering pump makes grinding noise after car runs for a while. I have about a 15 mile commute. The pump is silent when i am starting the commute but makes horrible grinding noises as i am pulling into work/home at the end of the commute. PS flush performed about 5k miles ago. Checked fluid levels, level is about halfway up the 2nd notched area on the dipstick. Fluid is pinkish, does not smell burned like it did before the flush. Car is 8 years old but only has 55k miles. Seems kinda early for a pump to go bad. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
How do you know it's the PS pump?
Are you experiencing any vibrations in your steering wheel or difficulty in steering?
Or, is it just an assumption?

If the grinding noises "just" sounds like it's coming from that general area... you may be misdiagnosing your problem.

Start here instead -
Check your Serpentine belt (its condition) AND pulleys (Tensioner & Deflector/idler)

Reference vid:

Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assumed it was PS because the noise only happens when i am turning the wheel. Would all of those other causes only cause noise when i am turning the steering wheel? There is not any vibration when driving or difficulty in turning the wheel either.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
noises while moving and turning and while sitting still and turning. On both ends of my commute I have several low speed 90+ degree turns, and at the finish of my commute thats when i hear the noise, not at the start.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I may have the same problem

I don't mean to hijack the original post, but I just experienced a similar situation. I had the water pump replaced a few days ago (new belts and wp pulley also). Everything was fine until this morning; I drove to the store about two miles away and when I started the car up and backed out of the parking spot there was a 'groaning' noise when I turned the steering wheel. There is some vibration in the steering wheel, and this happens whether the car is moving or stopped. I assumed it was the PS pump, but now I'm wondering if the new belts may have introduced enough additional tension to cause the idler pulley or the tensioner to go out. What is the easiest way to isolate the problem? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For 99% PS pump it's ending. I"ve had the same for last 3 weeks, noise while turning, louder when car engine was warm. It's common thing in E46. PS pump originally instaled is LUK LS 20, it has some kind of defect.

·
Registered
26,436 Posts
Mine does the same thing , though even when im not turning the wheel.

I'm 100% it's had air ran through the system which has caused this noise, i'll post a video later :D
So, according to the turkey baster flush method, after adding fluid when cool and up to the second line (at the second line is full, not below it (note for other poster in this thread), you then go to full stop both right and left a few times to 'bleed' system.

As far as the guy who's making noise when the car isn't moving...not so good to turn steering when car isn't moving, and if you do that a lot, suspect your pump will head south sooner.

We've had incidents where other pulleys have hung up the steering at full lock...and since I believe it's a plastic pulley, warrants close inspection...but, the shaft also has been known to break off, even though pulley is fine...don't know the mechanics inside exactly, but believe you try to pull the shaft out to see if that's the issue...of course, belts have to be off for this.

Sorry to hear all these troubles, guys! Fill to full, bleed system by turning to full stop a few times both ways, check pulleys and shaft of ps pump...also, look for leaks around...below ps reservoir or on other ps hoses...leaks themselves shouldn't cause this issue, but they might be causing air to get into system...so if you have groaning, and leaking, that might be something to consider...not saying it IS the cause, just might be...and leaking ps fluid will get to be an issue sooner or later, so look into it.

Doug

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
So, according to the turkey baster flush method, after adding fluid when cool and up to the second line (at the second line is full, not below it (note for other poster in this thread), you then go to full stop both right and left a few times to 'bleed' system.

As far as the guy who's making noise when the car isn't moving...not so good to turn steering when car isn't moving, and if you do that a lot, suspect your pump will head south sooner.

We've had incidents where other pulleys have hung up the steering at full lock...and since I believe it's a plastic pulley, warrants close inspection...but, the shaft also has been known to break off, even though pulley is fine...don't know the mechanics inside exactly, but believe you try to pull the shaft out to see if that's the issue...of course, belts have to be off for this.

Sorry to hear all these troubles, guys! Fill to full, bleed system by turning to full stop a few times both ways, check pulleys and shaft of ps pump...also, look for leaks around...below ps reservoir or on other ps hoses...leaks themselves shouldn't cause this issue, but they might be causing air to get into system...so if you have groaning, and leaking, that might be something to consider...not saying it IS the cause, just might be...and leaking ps fluid will get to be an issue sooner or later, so look into it.

Doug
It was properly bled , but had a tiny leakage on the oil return which i caught just as the pump made a choochoo train sound ^^

1 - 10 of 10 Posts