BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1.888.JLEVISW
29,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have 700 bucks to spend and I am exploring my different modding options, most of my friends say screw getting wheels and get a system, as my non-hk system is kinda lacking. So my question is, for 700 bucks, what exactly could I buy? I listen to mostly rock/alternative, but some rap/hiphop and I am looking for some more bass. I was thinking maybe a JL subwoofer setup with JL amps. If I were to just get subs, would it sound okay with my stock speakers? Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should go about getting some ICE? Also, I want to keep the stock headunit and I have the stock 6 disk changer...Thanks:thumbup: Also, I know absolutely nothing about ICE so I would prolly have some1 install it for me...:thumbup:

·
Registered
449 Posts
Unless you go the ebay / internet route, your $700 budget may not be enough to cover JL amps/subs/install/converters/wiring/etc.

Subs w/ the stock speakers sound fine - lots of people have gone the subs+amp only route. You may want to remove the stock hk subs and use the holes as ports for your bass in the trunk. Now that you've got something better, you don't really need those anylonger.

My honest opinion is either wait a bit longer and save to about a grand and get the system you want, or try going the ebay/internet route and then even try DYI install. The hardest part of a sub+amps install would be connecting the vend convertor to the amp and and powering the amp to the battery. You can probably do it yourself if you're careful.

BMWERKEN said:
So I have 700 bucks to spend and I am exploring my different modding options, most of my friends say screw getting wheels and get a system, as my non-hk system is kinda lacking. So my question is, for 700 bucks, what exactly could I buy? I listen to mostly rock/alternative, but some rap/hiphop and I am looking for some more bass. I was thinking maybe a JL subwoofer setup with JL amps. If I were to just get subs, would it sound okay with my stock speakers? Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should go about getting some ICE? Also, I want to keep the stock headunit and I have the stock 6 disk changer...Thanks:thumbup: Also, I know absolutely nothing about ICE so I would prolly have some1 install it for me...:thumbup:

·
booo for body roll.
3,417 Posts
i agree. 700 isn't much to get a really great system.. however it can be done..

get a
$250 alpine headunit
$200 sony amp
and right now at circuit city they have buy one sub get 75% off the next! mtx 6000's are bad if u like rap.. you could probably get a pair and a box for 250.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
29,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jun14scr said:
i agree. 700 isn't much to get a really great system.. however it can be done..

get a
$250 alpine headunit
$200 sony amp
and right now at circuit city they have buy one sub get 75% off the next! mtx 6000's are bad if u like rap.. you could probably get a pair and a box for 250.
Yeh so it sounds like I have some options, but I want to keep the stock headunit, so could I not really go aftermarket anything with a stock headunit? Meaning, could I hook up an aftermarket amp to a stock headunit or what?:dunno:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts