E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

So I have learnt my lesson in getting what you pay...I've got a set of 19" wheels from Tempe for my BMW 330ci vert and now all 4 have cracked. My tyres are constantly down as a result.

Can anyone advise:
A) How do you tell a cheap wheel and a quality wheel?
B) What size is optimal, is 19" too big hence why they are so fragile?
C) Where do get them, what do you pay?
D) What is the correct offset?

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
A) How do you tell a cheap wheel and a quality wheel?
A good quality wheel is lightweight, strong and finished well. A cheap wheel is usually the opposite.

B) What size is optimal, is 19" too big hence why they are so fragile?
It depends on what you're after but 19" wheels on an E46 are a safe choice. No wheel is indestructible but you would expect a quality wheel to hold up better.

C) Where do get them, what do you pay?
It'd probably be best to work out what you're willing to spend and whether you'll be buying locally or from overseas. IMO you're looking at $3k+ for new

D) What is the correct offset?
All aftermarket wheel companies are going to offer slightly different wheel offsets, some won't even tell you. It depends on the width of the wheels you're buying.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Take them back my uncle had hsv's on his ute hit a pot hole and cracked it and they changed it for him on the spot.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using BimmerApp

·
Registered
10,292 Posts
Take them back my uncle had hsv's on his ute hit a pot hole and cracked it and they changed it for him on the spot.

but then ur stuck with sh1t wheels again...

·
Registered
283 Posts
doesnt mean expensive wheels wont crack too though, sometimes it actually depends on your driving style, if you dont avoid/slow down at potholes, rail tracks, speed humps etc, theres a chance you will crack your wheels, even oem BMW BBS wheels can crack, trust me, it happened to me before

·
Registered
979 Posts

Are you sure about that man, if your wheel cracks because of a pot hole they will tell you to make a claim with the council or RTA.

I know becuase when I had a integra DC2 with dished rims like 4-5 years ago I cracked a front rim on a huge pot hole, tried to get a re fund they told me to contact the Council. Council told me to contact RTA, RTA said it was the councils fault, was a total run around, no one wanted to pay or any thing. I mean it was only $400 to replace the rim and tire so I eventually gave up sending letters and making calls..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Are you sure about that man, if your wheel cracks because of a pot hole they will tell you to make a claim with the council or RTA.

I know becuase when I had a integra DC2 with dished rims like 4-5 years ago I cracked a front rim on a huge pot hole, tried to get a re fund they told me to contact the Council. Council told me to contact RTA, RTA said it was the councils fault, was a total run around, no one wanted to pay or any thing. I mean it was only $400 to replace the rim and tire so I eventually gave up sending letters and making calls..

Did you have a set from tempe ? because i was in the car when it happened and he put the stocker back on,called tempe and he spoke to them and they changed it that arvo? but also if you have purchased them within the one year then they have structual warranty so it doesnt matter.

look it could only been a one off thing that happend with us but im jst suggesting some advise and i think its worth a try... because it proved to be a positive outcome.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agree. Nothing comes for free, and there is a price for quality. Thing that annoyed me the most was the service...I explained to the sales rep there, the situation and that a i'd purchased a whole set just over a year ago. 2 cracked... took them back, they welded them together. few months later, cracked again and I bought 2 new ones, also from tempe. Now the 2 from the original set cracked also. So I waited an hour, for them to hoist and check em out. Only to confirm, yes they are cracked! and the rep looks at me and says "So what you wanna do bro...?" never going back there again.

·
Registered
468 Posts
What size tyre combo are you running?

May have something to do with them cracking...also, tyre pressures make a big difference going over potholes etc.

As already said, all wheels can crack, its not just replicas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts