BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
ive had my oem hids retrofitted for 500£ including lcm and bulbs. got used headlamps of ebay for 350£ and rest was wires and lcm and bowt a day of fiddling. amazing results. wouldnt go for p46 if they are worst. oem xenons are cooooool. can not imagine downgrading or getting next car without xenons:excited:

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
So much leg humping and mis-information in this thread.

There is NO way that P46 even compares to an OEM xenon projector.

1) Upgrading your Xenon lights does NOT include increasing the "blueness" or increasing "Color Temperature". 6000K lights loose output compared to OEM 4300k.

2) P46 are the cheap way to have a projector/xenon set-up for halogen cars.

3) P46's do NOT LEVEL.

4) P46's do not have Adaptive xenon (look around the corner, yes, I'm aware only a limited amount of e46's have this option)

5) P46's are single xenon (Only low beam, not high/low)

6) Light output blows, hot spots, no light in some area, and the cutoff is crap.
:thanks:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I think the fact that they are single xenon and not bi-xenon is the biggest difference... for me atleast.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Damn, really?

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
i recall reading that the p46 projectors were actually designed for halogen lights and not xenons.
Please elaborate. The P46 replaces the whole headlight, whether that headlight is halogen or xenon. How do you figure it's only designed for halogen if it replaces the whole headlight?:loco:

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Please elaborate. The P46 replaces the whole headlight, whether that headlight is halogen or xenon. How do you figure it's only designed for halogen if it replaces the whole headlight?:loco:
It may be a replacement lense with a projector, but it doesn't mean that projector was designed for a xenon bulb.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Because projectors are either designed for halogen bulbs or xenon nbulbs. And there are reflector housing designed specifically for xenon and ofcourse for halogen bulbs.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
He said "p46 projectors were designed for a halogen bulb". When he said "P46 projectors" I took that as he was talking about the item that all the sponsors sell which is "P46 projector headlights"

Sooooooooo ..... I maintain my question. If you are replacing the whole headlight, why does it matter if you replace a halogen headlight or a xenon headlight? Do you mean because they have resistors built in or what?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
My guess is yes.
If you are putting in xenon bulbs, get xenon projecotrs.

·
Registered
101 Posts
He said "p46 projectors were designed for a halogen bulb". When he said "P46 projectors" I took that as he was talking about the item that all the sponsors sell which is "P46 projector headlights"

Sooooooooo ..... I maintain my question. If you are replacing the whole headlight, why does it matter if you replace a halogen headlight or a xenon headlight? Do you mean because they have resistors built in or what?

He probably meant the projector INSIDE the p46, not that p46 was meant to just replace halogen headlights. So the projector inside the p46 was designed to house a halogen bulb making the p46 headlights halogen projectors. On our mazda cx7, it has halogen projectors, it looks much better with 55w hid now, but it was still designed for halogen bulbs as a projector.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts

i'm talking about the projectors inside the p46 headlights. I believe that they were originally designed for use with halogen lights hence the bad cutoff,etc. It's like how some toyotas have specially designed reflector bowls for xenons.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
i'm talking about the projectors inside the p46 headlights. I believe that they were originally designed for use with halogen lights hence the bad cutoff,etc. It's like how some toyotas have specially designed reflector bowls for xenons.
Exactly. For exam the prev gen IS300 has xenons stock in reflector bowls.

·
Registered
215 Posts
check and mate.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
those things just have to be aimed correctly... especially pic #2....
i dont think they aimed it

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
PROJECTOR46 CUTOFF VS OEM
P46

Another p46

OEM

/thread.
those things just have to be aimed correctly... especially pic #2....
i dont think they aimed it

Im going to jump in real quick, since pic three is from my thread. I went from p46 to oem bi-xenon. the oem bi-xenon is miles ahead of the p46s, mainly because the p46s have hotspots, where all the light is directed, and the cutoff wasn't as defined and sharp. oem bi-xenons however, have a sharp cutoff all the way across and the light is spread very nicely, little to no hotspots. The way i see it is, if you upgrade from halogen to p46 your gunna be blown away, if you upgrade from p46 to oem your going to be blown away, if you upgrade from oem to fx-r/tsx....well thats just a whole nother story :4ngie:

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Im going to jump in real quick, since pic three is from my thread. I went from p46 to oem bi-xenon. the oem bi-xenon is miles ahead of the p46s, mainly because the p46s have hotspots, where all the light is directed, and the cutoff wasn't as defined and sharp. oem bi-xenons however, have a sharp cutoff all the way across and the light is spread very nicely, little to no hotspots. The way i see it is, if you upgrade from halogen to p46 your gunna be blown away, if you upgrade from p46 to oem your going to be blown away, if you upgrade from oem to fx-r/tsx....well thats just a whole nother story :4ngie:
the cutoff for the oem e46 projectors are considered soft..i retrofitted the FX-R projectors onto our odyssey and they are AMAZING:drool:!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
the FX-R or TFX projectors are the BEST out there.
I would get those right now if I had the money/time.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
the cutoff for the oem e46 projectors are considered soft..i retrofitted the FX-R projectors onto our odyssey and they are AMAZING:drool:!
:bow: i agree oem are def better than my p46 but i def like the looks of the fx-r...maybe down the road...

the FX-R or TFX projectors are the BEST out there.
I would get those right now if I had the money/time.
keep an eye on here, i see something very soon :4ngie:...

41 - 60 of 93 Posts