E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

· Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Title kinda speak for itself.

Logic - The m54's are cheap real cheap and good engines, especially for e30 conversions. EWS is a clear obstacle.

I for one cant find anything at all publicly available for as a solution.

Some have claimed to have done it / offer it. HakkenTT, i think i read somewhere you can offer it, not sure. Nor would i for a second doubt you, given your knowledge and contribution to the community already. You certainly inspired my s54 swap.

I guess what im trying to say is that, should EWS delete be made publicly available as i think it would inspire allot of swaps, very affordable and result in some cool projects.

If not, can we get some logic on why it shouldnt be public. I understand people make a living etc etc, however were not talking about ripping tunes or anything of like like. If anything it could inspire further tuning work / services to those offering it.

Obviously for it to work, it would require people wanting to share there knowledge where no doubt they spent significant time to aquire.

Has the idea got legs ?

Im willing to donate the 3 ms43 (b30's) dme which i have lying around to the cause.

· Premium Member
28,961 Posts

· Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Possible we know that. But look at those prices and then read the below.

A gentlemen (i presume) called " p0lar " whom i personally don't know nor have ever spoken with made the below comment regarding mss54's and he is one of the main guys who blew it apart, amongst some very committed other. The below are his words re mss54, legendary really. He does not share it publically due to security reasons, but does it for free. Anyway, that's another topic. Personally im not sure if a potential thief would be better off if they knew how to modify your ews bin, BUT im sure people have there reasons.

"The procedure is, and will remain, FREE - WITHOUT CHARGE. Those paying for this service, at any price, are paying for the obfuscation of information and not the complexity of the modification. It is a trivial procedure, a change of one byte, plus two more bytes if you choose to delete DTCs 0x42 and 0x82. If it weren't for the potential of this information to be abused if made openly public, I would have done so already. That being said, I'll happily modify your MSS52 or MSS54 binaries for free."

· Registered
7,636 Posts
This is why people don't like to share new info, they rather keep it and share it for something that they don't know.
MS42/43/45 ews off byte is not located in partial flash, so even if you know where it is and tell it to the public, there is nothing you can do about it.
Not that hard to read full flash... Sure, it'll keep most non-technically minded folks out of the game, but otherwise it's not a big deal

· Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok Gents,

In my personal swaps / coding issues, through all my research the contribution made by 3 people is what got everything across the line, otherwise impossible. I know there are many others, no questions, but the ones whom stand out like a sore thumb are here. (now that terra snuck in a comment)

p0lar - your a seriously intelligent member of the community. Your contribution to the mss54 is mind blowing to say the least. Your patient and welcoming attitude towards novices/amateurs only serves to encourage new members to start playing. Your a real modern day robin hood of sorts. Blowing the lid on ews delete for ms43, man it would be valuable. I have seen your personal view on making ews delete public on mss54, and regardless of what i think, i wouldn't want to be the one to challenge it. Not at all trying to twist your arm in changing your viewpoint, but would it be fair to say considering m54 (i dont like to say it) but are kinda worthless compared to s54, 62 etc. It would be a popular swap choice, and perhaps ews delete should / could be public for it. It would open up allot of swaps, especially in e30's. Its a perfect motor for them. Regarding Haks, look i dont know the guy personally, but it seems like a genuine case of mistake identity. I can say however, they guy has helped me out personally both publicly and privately when ive been stuck, and from my experience seems like a stand up guy.

so p0lar, what needs to happen for this to interest you or get your support ?

Terra - all i can say is that IMHO, you do know everything about everything as far as im concerned. Your work on the mss54, again ^ everything same as p0lar. This needs you bro. Can it work ?

Haks - You have helped me out whenever i've got stuck, in my personal experience your a stand up guy. Whether or not this is a business for you, if you do have the details of accurate ews delete for ms43, bro, blow the lid on it man. Opening it up to the public will surely bring more tuning opportunities to people like yourself, since many more swaps will take place. Surely, even in your opinion, p0lar below comment does indeed stand true. Haks, if you can and believe, put it out there man.

"The procedure is, and will remain, FREE - WITHOUT CHARGE. Those paying for this service, at any price, are paying for the obfuscation of information and not the complexity of the modification. It is a trivial procedure, a change of one byte, plus two more bytes if you choose to delete DTCs 0x42 and 0x82. If it weren't for the potential of this information to be abused if made openly public, I would have done so already. That being said, I'll happily modify your MSS52 or MSS54 binaries for free."

Like i said, if we can get the support (unless Haks blows the lid, and i dont questions that he can, question is will he?) i can donate 3 dme's, significant time and unlimited hosting / server space (not that that helps)

· Registered
686 Posts
blow the lid on it man. Opening it up to the public will surely bring more tuning opportunities to people
No. It will only make basement internet tuners benefit from it. Regular people won't be able to do it, only people with right equipment and understanding, so someone else will be making money on my hard work.

· Registered
7,636 Posts
e34 -- can you take a picture of both sides of the DME's circuit board for me? I don't know what CPU the MS43 even has

Do keep in mind that the MS43 is a fair bit more complex than the MSS54 (despite the latter having two processors and being "higher end") -- I did learn a lot over the last year, but I'm not arrogant enough to believe I know everything

· Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
No. It will only make basement internet tuners benefit from it. Regular people won't be able to do it, only people with right equipment and understanding, so someone else will be making money on my hard work.
Haks, thats kinda disappointing man. In all honesty, would making the details of ews delete for ms43 really be the end of the world ? I would not have thought so. Wouldn't the actual money be in the tuning of these rather than trivial things things like ews delete. Beside if ews delete is public, isnt it safe to assume many people will be doing conversion and looking for tunes.

Anyway, kinda getting off topic. It would be nice if you were to share the process and details, however if you cannot, well you cannot.

e34 -- can you take a picture of both sides of the DME's circuit board for me? I don't know what CPU the MS43 even has

Do keep in mind that the MS43 is a fair bit more complex than the MSS54 (despite the latter having two processors and being "higher end") -- I did learn a lot over the last year, but I'm not arrogant enough to believe I know everything
maybe not everything but almost :excited:

Terra the cpu is a : infineon sak-c167cr-lm

I did a little scoping earlier today, and spoke to 1 tuner in the US, as a general inquiry of course. Now 3 things came of this conversation:

1. They advised that had worked out ews delete for ms43 and infact were the only ones in the world to do so.
2. They will be releasing it in the next week or so, at a cost of $1600 US.
3. The reason its delayed is because they are implementing a which which is encrypting and read protecting the necessary blocks

Now each to there own, whatever. At this point i feel like pasting p0lar statement again, but i think it pretty damn clear.

Question is, what can be done about it ? and whos willing to help.

Terra if you and p0lar can get behind it, there would soon be a small army behind you.

· Registered
3,315 Posts
all i can say is deleting the ews is a waste of time. sure, for those rare instances that people want to do a swap, ok fine. i'm sure you can find an ms43 with a m54b30 engine from say... maybe a 5 series who might be equipped with an ews 3.2 instead of the ews 3.3 and the chinese sell an ews bypass circuit for $20. it works too.

there's other ways around the ews. for whatever car the dme and ews ends up, you can always code a transponder to the car if it ends up being an ews 3.3.

· Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
after a heap of trial and error disabling ews on the ms43 is now complete, well we think.

without the need to solder or remove ic chips of course. we are just testing some final things and will release the results publicly shortly.

NOTE: we are not ecu tuners or anything of that nature. all we wanted to do is achieve a working ews delete for the ms43 to enable people to do engine swaps without wiring ews. If anyone is interested in tuning them we have a complete and working damos file which is available for free since its already free.

we will post the ews delete and process shorty.

· Registered
47 Posts
EWS in ms42, 43, 45 mss52,54 etc its been done before. I did mine without any issues. The information is out there. All you need its been out years ago. My way i use a EMULATOR. Yes an EMULATOR, because i can swap DME at any time, align it with inpa and done. The trick is in 2 bytes........ The problem is that people dont want to pay for the hard work. Im not saying pay 600 for a ews delete. All im saying is that I paid here and there to get this donein my car. Im building a 328ti with m52tub28 internals, m54b30 intake cam, injectors, m50 manifold. Tuned by ME. Nothing is free in life. That doesnt mean that it cant be cheap. I can provide a full operational DME ms42 and ms43 with EWS delete, tuned for a FAIR price. Is not a business, its just trying to recover what i invesment to get this done. I can help you with tuning, maps dtc codes and more but if you want it for free. GOOGLE IT. Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle
Engine Auto part Technology Vehicle Hood
Auto part Engine Machine Automotive tire Automotive engine part

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

· Registered
7,636 Posts
Jony, if you feel you're entitled to compensation for your work, that's fine. Don't expect the rest of us to agree, and please don't clutter a thread about open development with your BS. Many of us are willing to donate our time towards cracking these wide open. We released the mss54 EWS delete publicly. The same will be done for the ms43 if a more generous soul figures it out

· Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
EWS in ms42, 43, 45 mss52,54 etc its been done before. I did mine without any issues. The information is out there. All you need its been out years ago. My way i use a EMULATOR. Yes an EMULATOR, because i can swap DME at any time, align it with inpa and done. The trick is in 2 bytes........ The problem is that people dont want to pay for the hard work. Im not saying pay 600 for a ews delete. All im saying is that I paid here and there to get this donein my car. Im building a 328ti with m52tub28 internals, m54b30 intake cam, injectors, m50 manifold. Tuned by ME. Nothing is free in life. That doesnt mean that it cant be cheap. I can provide a full operational DME ms42 and ms43 with EWS delete, tuned for a FAIR price. Is not a business, its just trying to recover what i invesment to get this done. I can help you with tuning, maps dtc codes and more but if you want it for free. GOOGLE IT

You cant be serious ?

Jony, if you feel you're entitled to compensation for your work, that's fine. Don't expect the rest of us to agree, and please don't clutter a thread about open development with your BS. Many of us are willing to donate our time towards cracking these wide open. We released the mss54 EWS delete publicly. The same will be done for the ms43 if a more generous soul figures it out
:thumbup: exactly

Why can you not take the ignition and ews with you during a swap?
Hey Mate, of course you can do that, despite many saying you cant. Ask me how i know ? We did it on an e30 m54b30. Fully working ODB2, ews, key etc etc.

Thing is, its not a pretty solution at all. And you would want to have a complete e46 and trace each wire one by one, its what i did. Its not hard but very very time consuming. With the ews delete for the m54 into e30, engine and its harness of course and a 5-6 wires connected in the engine bay + the foot pedal wires and your done. End result = big different. ;)

Here is a video of ours running with ews. No exhaust or lamba hence its rough, but starting and talking ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iriAPhr35b4

The second we can be certain this ews delete is 100% working il be posting the exact instructions for disabling it right here. No emulators or ic chip soldering required.

· Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

for all the diy tuners which im not, along with the above damos files which i stumbled across you will also need the below which will help with you checksum calculation, which seems free.

http://www.filedropper.com/ols247siemensms43_1

i dont own any of these files i just happen to come across them on the brillint advice of googling.

i would also highly recommend visiting the below website.

http://www.enginetuning.eu/category/software/

ews delete hopefully not far away. After this one, we will do ews delete for ms42 and ms45.1 for the fun of it and release all the details of course so anyone who can use a computer can do it themself.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.