BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two rust holes in the floor of the car, right in front of the fuel tank. I'd like to pull up the carpet and weld in steel sheet so I can pass inspection.

Anyone know how to go about doing this? I'd assume I would pull out the rear seat and peel up the carpet from the back.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Yes the carpet is in 2 sections one covers the front and one covers the rear, not sure but you may have to remove the front seats for clearance.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
you may have to remove the front seats for clearance.
Correct, take out front seats, the center console surround, the front door sills, the b pillar lower cover, the rear door sills, and the rear seat bottom and you can take the entire back section of carpet out.

The rear carpet section begins right around where the air vents are under the front seat. The carpet is thick and it's a bitch, but doable.

Good luck!

I also had rust holes and was able to cut a chunk out of a junkyard e46 and weld in the new ones. I could basically flintstone my car before the fix lol. Fear not, is it fixable! I strongly recommend finding a donor car to hack up in order to keep the contour of the floor panel.

·
Registered
10,578 Posts
Make sure you disconnect the battery first. Otherwise you can get a restraint system fault. Also, the electronix in the car, when there’s power, can get messed up from welding-too many stray electrical energy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts