E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The old differential stock(3.10) had a leak so my bro decided to get the 3.46 on his 2001 325i w/ maunal transmission. But now the car is mine and the turning on that car sucks real bad now. Befor the change that car would turn like a formula 1 car, but since the change turning is horriable. The car slides like crazy on stupid turns, turns that she use to handle with no problem.. Also when it rains its the worse thing in the world... going up hill when it rains the car rear tires lose traction everytime... i would be going up hill and the car traction control light turn on...and when i accelrate the RPM go up but the car doesnt go anywhere its scary... I beleve it cuz of the differential.. O yea when i accelrate hard the car gets stuck,like it stops for a seconds and then contiunes from there, and i feel it from the back..i dont believe it me driving bad, cuz i drive my friends car (exacltly the same car with (3.10) never happends to me... I heard that if i get more horsepower it will be better at turning and the sliding with stop, is that true???? Iam not even 100percent sure if it is the differential....but Thanks in advance for all ur help....

·
Registered
30 Posts
emo3113 said:
The old differential stock(3.10) had a leak so my bro decided to get the 3.46 on his 2001 325i w/ maunal transmission. But now the car is mine and the turning on that car sucks real bad now. Befor the change that car would turn like a formula 1 car, but since the change turning is horriable. The car slides like crazy on stupid turns, turns that she use to handle with no problem.. Also when it rains its the worse thing in the world... going up hill when it rains the car rear tires lose traction everytime... i would be going up hill and the car traction control light turn on...and when i accelrate the RPM go up but the car doesnt go anywhere its scary... I beleve it cuz of the differential.. O yea when i accelrate hard the car gets stuck,like it stops for a seconds and then contiunes from there, and i feel it from the back..i dont believe it me driving bad, cuz i drive my friends car (exacltly the same car with (3.10) never happends to me...
I don't know if that would be the differential - check the tread on your tires, it sounds like they're bald?

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To tell the truth i dont know where my bro got the differential, and i believe they are limited slip...called my bro but he was sleeping.....but iam not 100% sure though....my tires are pirelli they arent bald either... they could get a changing in a few months.. so i know it isnt the tires.........thanks guys for the info...

·
Mom says I'm a catch
4,754 Posts
emo3113 said:
and when i accelrate the RPM go up but the car doesnt go anywhere its scary.
Sounds like a slipping clutch to me.

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont believe its the clutch becuase i had it change about 20,000miles ago , the car has 61,000 miles on it now....any more ideas guys??

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,325 Posts
All I know is not a single one of those problems could be caused by the differential.

You have bad tires and/or a bad clutch, no matter how new they are it sounds like they are shot.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
well a LSD diff on a sharp turn SHOULD allow for that bit of spin...that lets you throttle-steer much easier...also, its a fairly potent diff...so if in first of 2nd going up a hill and you floor it...ya...youll get that light on...but it DOES sound like your tires are a bit bald...

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,325 Posts
I would bet 1 million dollars that it is NOT a limited slip diff.

Not many people would spend $3,000 to fix a leaky diff.

P.S - There is no such thing as a 3.10 gear ratio in any E46. From the factory a 2001 325 would have a 3.15 with a manual trans and a 3.46 with an automatic.

·
Legendary like a schoolboy
6,333 Posts
it really sounds like you dont like your shorter final drive(or lsd, i doubt it though). If you have the old 3.15, slap it back on. You might sacrifice the extra torque , but since the gearing is longer, you'll be able to spread the power over the corners and turns better without going sideways. I had a 3.46 from a 2.91 years ago. I went back to 2.91 in matter of minutes. As for the loss of power?? maybe u have not DEACTIVATED the DSC and ASC (hold the dsc button until both lights turn yellow) oh yeah you'll really go sideway in the rain

·
www.my330i.com
1,907 Posts
Or, and let's go all out here...

The spider gears have locked up in the diff and you are only driving one wheel all the time... the other wheel freewheels. Would make turning no fun at all, spins tires, all sorts of no fun... (edit: or the spiders have locked up and you are now running a locker, also no fun on the street.)

Try jacking up the back end of the car (both wheels and in gear) and rotate one tire... if the other rotates the opposite direction, you have an open diff... if the other rotates the same direction, you have a LSD or a busted diff acting like a locker... if it doesn't rotate at all, you are in trouble.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
i think the turning or handling problems during turning is due to the limited slip differential. i put a locking differential in my truck and on fast turns when i gun it, you can really feel that the car tries to straighten it self out. this is for sure due to the differential, limited slip, depending how aggressive the slip is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts