BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Question for the DDE remote kit

I installed the projector46 (6000k w/ DDE) and remote kit, from umnitza. first off, great product and great service. The install went smooth and only took me a few hours (I took my time to get it right the first time and also didnt take of my bumper to mount the ballast).

Only once in a while, the DDEs will not turn off when i lock the car. They stay on for atleast a minute after hitting the lock button untill I get impatient and unlock and lock untill they turn off. has any one had similar problems. Its like that soudn that wont repeat at the mechanics, or those pesky computer problems that no one can explain why is happening, other than "its windows".

other than that Ive been brushing my shoulders off for the past three days.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
14,756 Posts
Your fan is running, so your accessory wire is still active - and the power is still on.

In the future, could you please email us, or at least not post a title that could be detrimental? Because of your question ( a very valid one, don't get me wrong ) regarding a normal function of your car, up to 30,000 people will read that title, and many will not bother to go in and read. Thus, many may think the product has caused you problems.

Just a humble request for the future :hi:
JL

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
sorry about that, I made it a point to mention that I love the product, in the thread. Didnt even think about people who would only read the title and not the whole thread, sorry. Let me repeat again for everyone who hasnt already got this great mod (they must be crazy to not have it already), This is soo easy to install and is the mod that has put the biggest smile on my face so far.

mods can feel free to change the word problem to question in the title

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The remote kit ties the DDEs into the interior lights. I guess there is still the connection to the ECU though, that keeps it on after shutting of the car. What if the ECU connection was canceled and moved to the HU remote on signal...so the DDEs would turn on and off with the interiors but would also run with the HU, which for most of us is always on...like the ECU, but wouldnt be running after turning off the car like the ECU connection is.

any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
It kinda does, If I tell the DDEs to shut off they should, thats what I bought. whats the point of having remote control if it waits for the ECU anyway. Would my HU "remote on" idea work?

·
1.888.JLEVISW
14,756 Posts
Assuming HU = headunit.. you could run the wire to one of the various wires that are "hot" when the car is on - but we will not cover you if you short something while "testing" which wires do what.
A word to the wise - being the brave sould that I am ( :rofl: ) I "tested" a wire to see if it would work once... it ended up creating a back-charge and costing $150 to fix... and I got lucky. A new ECU will cost you THOUSANDS of dollars if you fry it. It's unlikely, but I feel responsible to at least warn you.

Keep in mind - the delay to turn off is a function of your car - not the DDEs ;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes HU= head unit (aftermarket). I was talking about connecting to the remote turn on lead, the one you would run to an amp (does this wire run a constant 12 volt signal or is it a one time "turn the amp on and now the signal is off" wire?

About the possibility of frying the ECU, I was talking about taking the connection to the ECU and instead of going from the relay to the ECU, going to the remote turn on. Removing the ECU all together.

I understand that the delay is in the car and not the DDEs, as they are awaiting a signal from the car to turn on and off. thats why i was wonderign if there is another source for this signal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts