BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will they still not fit if the car is at stock ride height? Whats the issue?:dunno:

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
The fronts will fit all the way around without any problems. Fitting the rears will take some work if you don't want tire rubbing.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve said:
The fronts will fit all the way around without any problems. Fitting the rears will take some work if you don't want tire rubbing.
Where does it rub? outter inner? We talking about rolling the fenders?

·
Registered
528 Posts
From what i understand it is the width of the tire which makes it rub.
The stock non-sport 16" wheel has 47mm offset and with a tire width of 8.6"(205 55 16) there is a gap of about 1.25" from the fender.

The M3 rear has 20mm offset which is 2.7 cm outwards from the stock coupe wheel (47 - 20 = 27mm/10= 2.7 cm). If the tire width was to have remained at 8.6" it would have been ok.
The tire width is i believe 10.2" (255 35 18), a gain of (10.2 - 8.6= 1.6" over the stock non-sport width. Divide it by 2 , we arrive at :

a.) 0.8" increase at either side of the wheel.

We now convert 27mm to inches, giving us 1.063". We cannot divide this by 2 since offset occurs only towards one side, in our case towards the fender.

We add the increase in tire width 0.8" (from eqn. a) to the offset 1.063" giving us 1.863" increase towards the fender.

Thus the M3 rear wheel will not fit the coupe, if lowered or no camber adjustment.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Even at stock height the M3 rear wheels will rub. I rolled my fenders and it still rubbed on the outside. You can try getting tires with a smaller sidewall but it's not reccomended.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts