BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I need help ! Recently I had my mechanic install my CCFL Angel Eyes; they were working great at first except for the left blinker was blinking really fast versus the right one that was blinking normal. I thought the left was the one with the problem, until I read the package and it said they are made that way unless I use a resistor which is fine. However, I finally looked at the right one while the blinker was on, and all of my Angel Eyes were up at the same time as the right signal, so everytime I put my right turn signal on, it looks like I have my Hazards on. If anyone has had this happen, or if they know why, please let me know what I can do. I almost got pulled because of it.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I'm seriously considering NOT going for AE's this month cause of all the not-so-good threads popping up bout aftermarket installations going bad.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I installed quite a few CCFL HALOs from Umnitza and I've never had issues with what you just mentioned. The setups I installed don't even have resistors, maybe ballasts but not resistors. You halos shouldn't be attached to your turn signals, your mech. definitely wired the HALOs on wrong.
My 330i, I think the ballast might be out on your driver side. Fastest way to test it out is to switch that ballast from your working side to the non working to see if it is indeed your ballast and take it from there. I've had my CCFL HALOs for many years, from my 328i to my M3 and I've never had had my rings go out. The only issue I've had was pink eyes which is just due to the cold weather in my area.

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
NEVER have a mechanic do electrical work! I have so many horror stories...

If you live in Maryland and want professional help, shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
NEVER have a mechanic do electrical work! I have so many horror stories...

If you live in Maryland and want professional help, shoot me a PM.
+1, brought in my car because it was in an accident and they end up breaking 4 halo rings trying to remount them.

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
if he wired them to the parking lights up front, they will blink with turn signal as they use same positive lead..............you need to run the trigger wire under the steering column and connect it to the grey wire with purple stripe coming off of light controls, this is the lead for the rear parking lights...............if you take off the ecu cover you will see a plastic elbow that leads right into under the steering column..........

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I'm seriously considering NOT going for AE's this month cause of all the not-so-good threads popping up bout aftermarket installations going bad.
The only issues I had were my own fault... the DIY was very easy to follow. I read up on it and checked it all out ahead of time. I have no had any issues since. :) *crosses fingers*

But I love mine. I think they look really good on these cars.

·
Registered
312 Posts
People only post when they have a problem with AE, not when everything goes fine. That's why there seem to be a lot of people with problem. when it's actually a really low percentage.

They're most likely wired wrong, re do it yourself or get a member to help you out.

·
Registered
472 Posts
People only post when they have a problem with AE, not when everything goes fine. That's why there seem to be a lot of people with problem. when it's actually a really low percentage.
Percentages? I've gone through just about every component of my P46's (bulbs, ballasts etc...) at least twice in two years. My AE's are not working now, and I'd never recommend them to anyone.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I don't know about your experiences, but I do agree with GS833. I've had my halos for years and I've never had issues with them. Other than the inherent issue with cold start up. I've never had a blown ballast, ring or anything. I would recommend this for any E46 owner, but make sure they get a experienced installer as there are little install quirks.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Interestingly enough, there is a post on here from a forum member that is drooling over their new LEDs inside their headlights.

·
Registered
356 Posts
ive installed them myself , i have like 4 months now and never had a problem, just putting the cables right were the little bulb goes and that;s it

·
Banned
2,061 Posts
Percentages? I've gone through just about every component of my P46's (bulbs, ballasts etc...) at least twice in two years. My AE's are not working now, and I'd never recommend them to anyone.
Maybe its because your from canada?

:lmao:

I don't know about your experiences, but I do agree with GS833. I've had my halos for years and I've never had issues with them. Other than the inherent issue with cold start up. I've never had a blown ballast, ring or anything. I would recommend this for any E46 owner, but make sure they get a experienced installer as there are little install quirks.
Interestingly enough, there is a post on here from a forum member that is drooling over their new LEDs inside their headlights.
Shut Up, I already know :p

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Haha, post up pics of the Orions V2 when you get them on Monk3y. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
2,061 Posts
Haha, post up pics of the Orions V2 when you get them on Monk3y. :thumbsup:
If I end up getting them :cry:

I know yours are hot (Ok, i was trying to go for a comparison there, but there is nothing to compare them to)

But I need Matt to give me a tester special :rofl:

After seeing yours, its pretty hard not to get them

1 - 20 of 43 Posts