BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got RD RS2's 19x8 with 235/35 in front and 19x9 with 265/30 in the rear. All tires are ContiSport IIs. When driving...I get pulled in every direction. I have to keep both hands gripped on the steering wheel just to keep the car steady. :banghead:
Does anyone else have this prob.?:dunno: Will changing the rears to 255/30 help? BTW my ride is a sedan.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Hope i can explain this to make sense as its kinda late...

The behavior of the 19's should be very similar to your previous wheels. Although, as with the wider and a lower profile tire you will experience what is called "tramlining" It is the response of the wider tire upon the road's surface that can not simply fit in this"rut" caused by the narrower tire of other( normal)cars. What the wider tire is trying to do is fit in this "rut" and is shifting in and out of this "rut".

But you should have experienced this to an extent on your previous wheels, which i beleive where 18's?

2nd possible cause - could be a wheel weight came lose from the back of your wheel or they were not balanced properly from the beginning.

3rd possible cause - You are due for an alignment

Get Lewis or Calvin to take a look of the symptons in person and they may be able to identify the cause

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John from jersey said:
Hope i can explain this to make sense as its kinda late...

The behavior of the 19's should be very similar to your previous wheels. Although, as with the wider and a lower profile tire you will experience what is called "tramlining" It is the response of the wider tire opon the road's surface that can not simply fit in this"rut" caused by the narrower tire of other( normal)cars. What the wider tire is trying to do is fit in this "rut" and is shifting in and out of this "rut".

But you should have experienced this to an extent on your previous wheels, which i beleive where 18's?

2nd possible cause - could be a wheel weight came lose from the back of your wheel or they were not balanced properly from the beginning.

3rd possible cause - You are due for an alignment

Get Lewis or Calvin to take a look of the symptons in person and they may be able to identify the cause
Thanks for your reply....
I had 18x8.5 with 235/40 all around and drove perfectly. I read somewhere that the max on sedans are 255s. I don't think it's my alignment because on flat roads it's ok...but if there's a little bump on the road my wheels will jerk in either direction. It's driving me insane:mad:. Why the hell were my 18s so smooth and the 19s so hard to control. I also had my wheels balanced before they were put on. What else could it be??

·
Wide Ass on 20's
865 Posts
maybe one of the wheels is bent

i doubt it though.. check your tire pressure to make sure its even.. if one is at +38 and the other is at +10 or something it will make a big diff

check ur alignment

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Find a FRESHLY paved road and see if it still does it. If it doesn't you were just experiencing major tramlining due to poor road conditions. If not, is likely the 2nd or 3rd possible cause i listed, as well as mikes response

Only other thing i can think of is the lugbolts may not be torqued properly....

·
Registered
361 Posts
have to agree with john, but i also had some jackass mount one of my tires in the wrong direction once, and believe me i thought i was driving on oil...check direction of tires, pressure, alignement, and of course balance of tires....ive had 16s, 18s, and 19s no prob....Matt

·
Registered
651 Posts
I run the exact same sizes (although ACS Type III racings) with the exact same tires. Did you have your arches rolled ? and when you go over bumps are you getting and rubbing ?

The reason I ask is that the ContiSport II's have a fractionally higher profile than expected. For example ACS originally recommended ContiSport I's when I spoke with them for my wheels. I spoke with my dealer and Contintenal in Belgium who both agreed that the ContiSport II's had massive improvements and had only been released. I went with the II's and on using the car had some rubbing on the fronts. The long and short of it was that the ContiSport II's had a fractional higher profile compared to the previous generation which meant the fronts would rub on certain bumps and dips, and I noticed a similar effect being pulled when they rubbed.

I don't find many problems with the car pulling going over normal bumps, but if you get a groove/ridge in the road you get that, but what your getting shouldn't be like that for general driving.

Hope it works out,
Stuart.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Never heard the phrase "tramlining" - only "hunting". Same diff though.

Also, cars can be very out of alignment without pulling one way or the other sharply. BMW recommends having and alignment done once a year regardless. This would cause what you're describing. Having a wheel out of balance wouldn't have this effect to this degree.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your replies guys!!! :) I will go and check my tire pressure and my alignment today. Hmmm....Is it safe to get an alignment with 19s? BTW I already had my fenders rolled.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Another consideration would be whether your wheels are hubcentric? Did you get your wheels from an authorized dealer, or from someone off the street? If you try everything above what John from Jersey said, you might need hub rings.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've got conti 2's and they wander all over the ruts. I don't know if it's specific to the tire or to the wide low profile tires since I've never had 19's before. They follow road crowns too like I was crossing a wake.

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
6,702 Posts
SWAYs can promote that kind of behavior.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts