BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody list the common things that I should be aware of for buying a used car? Can people list all the problems that people have found on their E46 3 series?
Thanks

·
Registered
703 Posts
bimmer said:
Can somebody list the common things that I should be aware of for buying a used car? Can people list all the problems that people have found on their E46 3 series?
Thanks
The main thing I would look for is over spray paint on any of the body seams and door jams. This would sure tell you if the car has been painted....

Other than that, take the car to your dealer and let them do a inspection of the car. Not a formal one, most dealers will have some type of inspection they do for people in your situation. Its usually around $50. The dealer will be the best at determining what if anything is wrong

Good luck

John V

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually

I am getting it from the dealer and the car is already certified. Does that mean that the car has no problems?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Take it to an independent mechanic of your choice, run carfax and have a body shop give it a 30 second once-over. Do you really trust the dealer's inspection on a car they are selling? Do you know what conflict of interest means?

·
Banned
2,199 Posts
Dunbar said:
Take it to an independent mechanic of your choice, run carfax and have a body shop give it a 30 second once-over. Do you really trust the dealer's inspection on a car they are selling? Do you know what conflict of interest means?
I agree! Take it somewhere and have them look it over. If there is anything wrong with it they'll spot it. They can also tell if the car has been repainted. Also... the dealer should be able to provide you with a printout of the car's service history so you can see what's been done to it.

Rich

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
feel the edges of all the car and look for any dis-coloration in the paint that might look like its been painted, but if u buy from a legit dealer they wont sell cars that have been in accidents....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts