BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
E46 Spartan
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped in new xenon headlight into my 2000 323i. They work great, although I get that error on the dash due to them not drawing as much current. I asked dealer if they could program in the computer to recognize the xenon lights, but they really didnt seem to know how to do it. Does anyone know the process that the dealer must do to correct this issue. Any specifics would be great.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
48 Posts
XENON RETROFIT

IF YOU DIDN'T HAVE XENON HEADLIGHT BEFORE YOU WILL NEED A COUPLE OF THINGS BEFORE THAT LIGHT ON YOUR DASH WILL GO OFF. YOU NEED AN EXTRA WIRING HARNESS. THAT WILL BE HOOKED UP TO THE HEADLIGHTS LEVELING SYSTEM (A FEATURE THAT ONLY COME IF YOUR CAR IS MANUFACTURED WITH XENON FROM THE FACTORY) ANOTHER PART IS THE LEVELING SENSORS ON ATTACHED TO YOUR FRONT AND REAR SHOCK TOWERS. I KNOW SOMEBODY WHO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM, AND INQUIRE HOW MUCH MONEY HE WILL SPEND JUST FOR THE PARTS ALONE HE END UP JUST IGNORING THE LIHGT ON HE'S DASH

BOVIE323I.

·
Crazy Boy
1,370 Posts
Re: XENON RETROFIT

bovie323i said:
IF YOU DIDN'T HAVE XENON HEADLIGHT BEFORE YOU WILL NEED A COUPLE OF THINGS BEFORE THAT LIGHT ON YOUR DASH WILL GO OFF. YOU NEED AN EXTRA WIRING HARNESS. THAT WILL BE HOOKED UP TO THE HEADLIGHTS LEVELING SYSTEM (A FEATURE THAT ONLY COME IF YOUR CAR IS MANUFACTURED WITH XENON FROM THE FACTORY) ANOTHER PART IS THE LEVELING SENSORS ON ATTACHED TO YOUR FRONT AND REAR SHOCK TOWERS. I KNOW SOMEBODY WHO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM, AND INQUIRE HOW MUCH MONEY HE WILL SPEND JUST FOR THE PARTS ALONE HE END UP JUST IGNORING THE LIHGT ON HE'S DASH

BOVIE323I.
dude i think ur capslock is broken... :lmao:

·
Registered
690 Posts
You can buy resistors to fake out the computer. Bekkers sells them for $100 per side but I think someone on this board sells them for $50 a side (his own build, but should still work).

Any ideas?

I just ignore the light right now.

·
Super Nintendo Chalmers
2,055 Posts
You don't need the extra wiring harness, from what I understand. you can either get your car reprogrammed, or buy a relay ($200 from bekkers). I'd rather get it programmed though, because it's probably cheaper, and it doesn't involve any cutting/splicing.

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,344 Posts
I'm considering installing the Bosch OEM HID kit from Bekkers in my '00 323Ci. The guy I talked with said they will sell a PAIR of Hella in-line resistors for $100 total, or you can get your computer reprogrammed which may be a problem as you are finding out since apparently many dealers won't do it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Remove Fuse 32 from your fuse box in the glove compartment and the light should go away -

Cost = FREE !! :)

No negative ramifications yet that I am aware of by doing this. Light will still come on if your bulb is blown/faulty.

Cheers!

·
Registered
28 Posts
gazfatha323i said:
I swapped in new xenon headlight into my 2000 323i. They work great, although I get that error on the dash due to them not drawing as much current. I asked dealer if they could program in the computer to recognize the xenon lights, but they really didnt seem to know how to do it. Does anyone know the process that the dealer must do to correct this issue. Any specifics would be great.

Thanks in advance.
The dealer of your does not want to do it. It can be done in a jiffy. Anyone with a MoDiC can do it. The options is either under LIGHTS or RETROFIT. Do a scan using the MoDiC and the results will be printed on screen on the list of items installed. Do note that after re-coding using MoDiC, year 2000 and before cars will loose the manual leveling function.

Raver is absolutely correct, you can also remove fuse 32 (it is a 5A fuse you cannot miss it) will remove the check light. The good thing is when the xenon blow, you will still get the check light! Simulate by removing the xenon bulb. Don't ask me what the heck is the fuse for then!? This is applicable to year 2000 cars and before. You will still have manual leveling function in this case.

Hope it helps and good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts