BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i purchased an '02 330i with about 48,000 miles on it in sept 06.
had it inspected prior to purchasing by a dealership and it passed with flying colors.

after purchasing the car i realized the steering was inconsistently jerking and not always centering itself. i took it back to the same dealership the same week i bought it to address my concern. they said i was paranoid. i assumed there was a problem with my suspension. so i took it in to a different dealership and they said my control arm bushings were shot.
so i took my car back to dealship that conducted the inspection and showed them the other dealships report. out of good will they replaced the bushings.
this didnt solve my problem.

so i took it in again a couple of times to the same dealer and they gave me a free wheel alignment. again this did not fix my problem.

i just went back the other day to the same dealer that did the inspection and they took another look at my "repeat concern". Now their diagnositc reads:

"hard/stiff spots in the power steering rack assembly. recomend replacing front tie rods at same time due to wear"

why the f___ did they not find this during the inspection or on the previous visits?

I've only driven 1400 miles since it was inspected.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? and at such a low milage? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Does the power steering stiffen up as you drive on the hwy or is it f*cked from start up? ( I just noticed you from Vancouver pm me the dealer)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE:

The powersteering rack alone is about 1800 Canadian dollars.

The dealership would be paying for this

So i got a call from the dealer and they said their shop foreman wants to drive the car to make sure it is in fact the rack that is the problem.

im like wtf, i've come in 4/5 times about this issue and on top of it all their tech has diagnosed it to be the problem. anyway i dropped off the car

to make a long story short ... i got a call back from the dealer and they say its not the rack anymore ... lol .. surprise!!

they say they tightened the suspension and want me to come in to go for a test ride to see if the problem is solved.

couple of hours later i get another call and this time they are saying the powersteering pump is at fault and they will replace it.

I think it might be the power steering pump too after reading on some of the posts on this topic.

what do you guys think???

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
that's sucks bro.
you have to figure BMW stealerships have to go thru a diagnostic checklist to find the problem. Step 1: try this and if this doesn't work, goto step 2...

it is a pia to try and solve issues with a used car.

not trying to say the dealership was wrong, but yeah, it's procedure for them.

it's when they d!ck you, you're allowed to get p!ssed! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
682 Posts
How do you "tighten" the suspension? Was there a loose bolt/nut?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do you "tighten" the suspension? Was there a loose bolt/nut?
im not too sure either .... that was the terminology that was used by my service advisor.

im picking up the car after work today hopefully and i'll let you know if the problem is fixed :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Yeah, I'd like to know about 'tightening of suspension'

btw, the rack does not cost $1800. I bought mine used for $230 CND shipped and swapped it myself.

Even remanufactured/new ones are $500-$800

·
Registered
286 Posts
UPDATE:

The powersteering rack alone is about 1800 Canadian dollars.

The dealership would be paying for this

So i got a call from the dealer and they said their shop foreman wants to drive the car to make sure it is in fact the rack that is the problem.

im like wtf, i've come in 4/5 times about this issue and on top of it all their tech has diagnosed it to be the problem. anyway i dropped off the car

to make a long story short ... i got a call back from the dealer and they say its not the rack anymore ... lol .. surprise!!

they say they tightened the suspension and want me to come in to go for a test ride to see if the problem is solved.

couple of hours later i get another call and this time they are saying the powersteering pump is at fault and they will replace it.

I think it might be the power steering pump too after reading on some of the posts on this topic.

what do you guys think???
When the steering tightens up try pushing and pulling on the steering wheel(it has some play) if the steering gets lighter you will know its not the pump. I have the same problem

·
Registered
506 Posts
Yeah, I'd like to know about 'tightening of suspension'

btw, the rack does not cost $1800. I bought mine used for $230 CND shipped and swapped it myself.

Even remanufactured/new ones are $500-$800
how did you swap the rack? did you read some DIY? When you replace it is it hard? Any special tools required? do you have to take out the whole front suspension out ?

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
how did you swap the rack? did you read some DIY? When you replace it is it hard? Any special tools required? do you have to take out the whole front suspension out ?
from the look of it, you should just unbolt the tie-rods and the thing should come out unless there is some kind of sub frame in the way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts