E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i started to hear a little whistling noise while i was driving a couple days ago from the passenger side door. I checked the weather stripping and it was fine but today i opened the window and it made kind of a cracking noise. I can tell its not opening and closing correctly (when it opens, it tilts slightly and closes very slowly) but what i noticed the most is the cracking noise it make when i open it. What could the problem be? could my motor be burning out?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeap, unfortunaley very common problem, Sounds like the control arm going. Hopefullly you are still under warranty. Those cost around 250.00 to replace.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im not under warranty unfortunately. Am i looking at about $250?
thanks everyone?

btw: whats the worst that will happen if i leave it alone for a lil bit? besides my window just not working anymore, can anything else happen?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nope, i just recommened not using the window. It could get stuck on you down. Mine almost did that. It won't hurt it leaving it alone. Call aroudn to different bmw places and get prices, Some dealers are alot cheaper than others.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea i just a quote from my guy at German Automotive. He said $175 parts and labor for the window regulator. Thanks for the help everyone

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,326 Posts
DEFINITELY WINDOW REGULATOR - EASY, DO IT YOURSELF - $60-$80 TOPS.

Sorry about the caps. Point must be made. First time will take you a while...by the time you get to the third, it takes 30 minutes to swap in a new one.

I should start a window regulator repair business and charge people $100 in labor for each regulator. I'd easily be making hundreds per week for well under 10 hours of actual work.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
akhbhaat said:
DEFINITELY WINDOW REGULATOR - EASY, DO IT YOURSELF - $60-$80 TOPS.

Sorry about the caps. Point must be made. First time will take you a while...by the time you get to the third, it takes 30 minutes to swap in a new one.

I should start a window regulator repair business and charge people $100 in labor for each regulator. I'd easily be making hundreds per week for well under 10 hours of actual work.
awsome, any sites for a DIY???

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
akhbhaat, if you start up the business ill take the doors off and let you fix the regulator and then ill put the doors back on. i have experience from taking the doors off now from two-toning them. i get 25%, too. ;) hahaha

but seriously someone could really make a full time job out of these regulators.

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,326 Posts
Cecil328i said:
akhbhaat, if you start up the business ill take the doors off and let you fix the regulator and then ill put the doors back on. i have experience from taking the doors off now from two-toning them. i get 25%, too. ;) hahaha

but seriously someone could really make a full time job out of these regulators.
Haha, no doubt. Especially when the dealer is charging $300+.

Even if you were to charge $50 labor + cost of parts ($60 to 80 on sedans as I mentioned above), you'd be making seriously easy money. Most people are terrified of touching their car. $50 for 30 minutes of work? Not a bad side income for, say, a college student if you ask me. Make it even more appealing by offering to drive out to the owner's business or house and do it on their break while they work or do whatever.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Once the next regulator goes out in mine, I'll do it myself definitely $70 for the part correct? I'm pretty sure I'll have one go out this winter.

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,326 Posts
Cecil328i said:
Once the next regulator goes out in mine, I'll do it myself definitely $70 for the part correct? I'm pretty sure I'll have one go out this winter.
Right around there. I paid $85 at the dealer for the last one with a BMWCCA discount, but they overprice everything. You can get one online for around $70. If anything, it should be under $100 without question.

When you buy one, be careful. Each door actually requires a different regulator with a different P/N.

It's really not a bad repair. Hardest part, in my opinion, is getting the foam vapor shield off without tearing it (you just have to be careful, it's not THAT hard to get it off). Putting everything back together is a snap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts