E46 Fanatics Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I changed my oil earlier today, but I came across a problem, I put in 7 quarts and it wasn't full, so i added 5 more still not full, when to the store 5 more, still not full, went and got another 5 quarts and it took about half of that till it was full, I'm not leaking oil anywhere, is this normal? Did i do something wrong? I replaced the filter and drain bolt before i started to fill the car up. Also the car started shaking violently and smoking after about 5 minutes and wants to die out?? Wtf is happening?? Is no oil getting to the engine? Im freaking out, please help

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have changed the oil many times on my E46, also have a 328i/2000. I guarantee you that it does take only 6.75 quarts (7 at most). Your are saying you put in 7 +5+5+5. You say you put in 22 quarts into a system that holds just under 7 quarts. Not possible. Impossible. Where are you adding it to? Not sure how anyone does 7 +5 and does not realize something is wrong. Since clearly the E46 does not take that, I would have someone checkout what you are doing BEFORE starting that car.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Why would you add 10 more quarts after the required 7?
Drain it all and fill with just 7 quarts.
May be the dipstick tube isn't seated properly or you may have a wrong dipstick.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have changed the oil many times on my E46, also have a 328i/2000. I guarantee you that it does take only 6.75 quarts (7 at most). Your are saying you put in 7 +5+5+5. You say you put in 22 quarts into a system that holds just under 7 quarts. Not possible. Impossible. Where are you adding it to? Not sure how anyone does 7 +5 and does not realize something is wrong. Since clearly the E46 does not take that, I would have someone checkout what you are doing BEFORE starting that car.
Adding it to the oil cap on the top of the engine

·
Registered
540 Posts
So you are saying that you added 22 quarts of oil to an engine that takes 7?
Ummmmm....
Drain it, now. Do not run it until the oil level is where it should be.
I cannot think of a way that this would happen unless you've done something really incorrectly.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So you are saying that you added 22 quarts of oil to an engine that takes 7?
Ummmmm....
Drain it, now. Do not run it until the oil level is where it should be.
I cannot think of a way that this would happen unless you've done something really incorrectly.
What could i have possibly done wrong? It wasn't full intill i got all that oil in it, do i have a cracked block or something?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Good luck OP. Hopefully you didn't do any serious permanent damage by running the engine for 5 minutes with 20+qts in the crankcase.

First do yourself a favor and find one of the many oil change DIY guides on this forum.

·
Registered
876 Posts
We all have to learn at sometime. Bet he does not make that mistake again.
PS--I would make sure that when you drain it you get it ALL out (22 quarts) and confirm when filling that you are putting in 6.75 quarts, no more. Since the drained oil is new, as long as the container you drain into is perfectly clean, it can be reused IF it is not contaminated with dirt when draining (from plug area). I use a oil pump, so it will be clean when removed. Save the remainder for future changes. BUT if there is the possibility of dirt being introduced (from bottom of engine drain area) do not reuse. I would not reuse is there is slightest possibility of contamination.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did end up saving about 10 quarts, the drain pan i was using filled up so damn quick, and then it started going everywhere but a ran and got some of the bottles from the garage to keep it off the street, didn't do that good of a job, I'm sure my neighbors will be happy about the street, i filled the oil till it was between the two notches on the stick, is this right? And also my car isn't shaking anymore but smoke is still coming out of the exhaust??

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.