E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a non-sport 330i and i just got the m68 wheels from my buddies 330ci...so i went ahead and put them on, used my existing bolts that came with the original 17x7 wheels...and after i put them on and started to drive...the car is out of control...
1. I hear a rubbing/grinding noise
2. Wheel is out of control gets thrown left and right sporadically
3. Wheels wobbly, althoug a friend of mine looked at me driving and said that car/wheels werent wobbling

I've read somewhere that...the worst part about the staggered setup is tire rotation. it can't be done unless you want to change the rotational direction of the tires by swapping sides, and the tires aren't unidirectional ...did i somehow put the tires on the wrong sides or something...
P.S. the tires are very worn down...could that be a problem?

What is the problem, can someone please help me? I doubt that its rubbng....And im pretty sure that i snuggly put the wheels on so they fit into the groves..what can it be...Do i need a wheel alignment? I'm scared to drive it....HELP....

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they were straight...they only have slight curb marks too...i looked at them i dont see any bents...is there a way to definetely to find out if they are bent? How?

·
Registered
220 Posts
teamdfl said:
Your buddy sold you a bent set of wheels.

Ed
If you have the correct stagger setup, then it's probably wheels that are bent or out of balance. Check to see if there are any flat spots. Jack up the car and spin the wheels.

Also make sure you use a torque wrench and do not overtighten the bolts.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
chazmtb said:

If you have the correct stagger setup, then it's probably wheels that are bent or out of balance. Check to see if there are any flat spots. Jack up the car and spin the wheels.

Also make sure you use a torque wrench and do not overtighten the bolts.
Its the 17x7.5 in the front and 17x8.5 in the back...im positive that i put them in that way....
Are you guys sure they are bent? cause they look straight? Where can check? Maybe i need a wheel alignment?

·
Slow in, slower out
4,410 Posts
TTBoy said:
they were straight...they only have slight curb marks too...i looked at them i dont see any bents...is there a way to definetely to find out if they are bent? How?
Take them to a tire place and spin them slowly on the balancer. If you can see any movement of the wheel edges, you will experience shimmy and vibration. For what its worth, I believe anything larger than .030" out of round or true is visible on a balancer

Ed

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will balancing them fix the problem?
How much can that run me?
also could it be the fact that the tires are out of round, since the thread is worn down, and looks uneven...more in the middle then on the sides?

Also is it bad to drive on them for the suspension, should i take them off immediately?

·
Registered
220 Posts
If it's out of round with a flat spot, balancing will never help. Had that happen to me with my previous car with aftermarket wheels. It is more pronounced in the front tires. Take it to a tire shop and ask them to drive it and see what's the deal.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
going to try rebalancing....really *** it works...:ben:

·
Registered
780 Posts
does the steering wheel shake like crazy?Cuz on my 1990 accord the tires were extremely worn down and the wheel shook like crazy, but once i got some new wheels it drives like new.....I dont even feel like looking at it after i got the bimmer though

·
Registered
38 Posts
dude if re balancin doesnt help..there prolly ur tires..get new ones and properly get them balanced and aligned...and while ur at it be sure u check to see if they are bent or not...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone think this could be a suspension or a bigger problem? i really dont cause this problem occured immediately after i put the new rims on and put the car in drive....?

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
damn some of u guys are gonna give the guy a heart attack...no one can really say what is the problem. something someone would have to look at to diagnose.

Here is what *could* be the problem

uneven tire wear

tires installed in wrong direction or wrong side of car

your front sway bar endlinks are not tight

your front bushings are shot

the rims are bent

the tire/s has a bubble

warped rotors(only applys to when u are pressing the brake)

all the above could translate to a wheel shimmy

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
can most of these problems be fixed with rebalancing....major problem that appears right now is the fact that the car is all over the place...wheels go everywhere, if i hit a abump, the steering wheel goes to the left or right without me even moving it....its like i dont have control of the car....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts