BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I shift from 1st to 2nd gear, I get a grinding sensation that drives me crazy. If I shift slowly (pause in neutral), it is much smoother through the gate. Sometimes though, it will get through the gate and then will be very mushy the rest of the way. Sometimes, 2nd gear locks me out altogether when upshifting or downshifting and I have to retry. This non-precise, inconsistant shifting problem is being looked at by my dealer right now, but their initial response is that they can't find anything wrong... AHHHHH

Anybody else have problems shifting into 2nd? I've noticed a couple of old threads about sticky, mushy, grinding shifts, but never heard of any solutions other than trying Redline tranny fluid.

Any help or information about solutions would be MUCH appreciated.

·
[]D[][]V[][]D[][]\[]
2,782 Posts
yeah its bs.. i'm gettin a ssk and redline tranny oil :thumbup:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anybody else have a similar problem?

Have those of you with Redline fluid and/or a SSK noticed significant improvements that may help me with my problems?

·
Bimmerless
1,845 Posts
Sounds like a similar problem my bro had in his RX7. Ended up being a stripped 2nd gear and worn links in his tranny.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, stripped gear and worn links in the tranny potentially? I'm driving the car with the service manager at the end of this week to see if I can point out the problem to him. So far, my dealer has driven the car twice on their own and say that they notice nothing out of the ordinary. My car only has 14,500 miles on it and I've only had it for a month!

·
Registered
644 Posts
I experience almost the exact same symptoms, i have a 2001 330 and 1st to 2nd shift has always been a bit notchy. I've become pretty used to it now so it doesn't really bother me. I hear that bmw tranny's are notorious for being notchy.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replies, guys. Sounds like this is something I'm probably going to have to live with. As long as I'm not doing damage to anything with these awkward shifts, I guess I'll live.

Evidently I was spoiled by the tranny on my old 1986 Honda Accord (there is something very wrong with that statement...)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update

Thought I'd give everyone an update to my shifting problem situation. For those of you interested, here ya go:

After the tech and the tech lead drove my car, I was told that there was nothing wrong with my transmission. They told me this shifting behavior was normal. I told them it wasn't and I asked to drive with the service manager which I did last Friday. He was a great guy and with me driving, I was able to point out what specifically my problem was. He even shifted for me from the passenger seat a couple times and agreed there was a problem. I was relieved he agreed with me because this was a very frustrating problem to me.

Anyway, after that, they had to get approval from the head Tech office to work on my transmission. They ended up getting a remanufactured transmission air freighted overnight to my dealership and they had it all ready for me within a couple days. I picked up my car tonight and they were very nice about the misunderstanding originally and told me that when they did get my old tranny out, there was a lot of metal shavings in the fluid (obviously something was not right in there).

Anyway, I haven't driven it much yet, but I've noticed that shifting into 2nd gear is now smoother. There will always be a "gate" there that you can feel, but I haven't had it grind or lock me out of gear any more so I'm thinking my problem is fixed. Almost 2 weeks with a loaner car, but I'm very satisfied by the great service of my dealer.

·
'a certain moderator'
35,572 Posts
Remanufactured tranny? why didnt u wait for a new tranny? this doesnt sound cool to me, i dunno, u buy a new car, i would expect new parts to come with the warrantee u paid for.

hope everything turns out :thumbup: and this tranny doesnt die on u

-brendan

·
l337
164 Posts
Dre,
I got your pm about this some time ago. Thanks for the write up and detail about the dealer. I think you got lucky with a good dealer. I did almost the same thing with my dealer in WI and he was very stubborn about admitting anythign was wrong. however, its really encouraging to see that you got help, maybe ill try to take mine to another dealer here in MD/DC.

Im going to do the redline thing at some point, then i will filter the fluid to see if there is alot of metal in there....

Congrats on the new (remanufacturted) tranny!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
simsima325 said:
Remanufactured tranny? why didnt u wait for a new tranny? this doesnt sound cool to me, i dunno, u buy a new car, i would expect new parts to come with the warrantee u paid for.

hope everything turns out :thumbup: and this tranny doesnt die on u

-brendan
simsima - dealerships don't open up trannys. If there is a problem, they told me they'll always pick up a remanufactured one. Whatever parts were defective in there in the first place have been replaced and it is as good as new (at least that's what they tell you!). I'm not too worried about this.

sza187, let me know how the tranny fluid change goes. Hopefully the Redline will help out! I'll probably end up switching to Redline as well. If you have metal shavings in your fluid, take 'em to the dealer and ask them what's up! This might just convince them to help you out! My dealer was not willing to admit a problem at first, but stay on them! Good luck!

·
Registered
196 Posts
sza187 said:
Dre,
I got your pm about this some time ago. Thanks for the write up and detail about the dealer. I think you got lucky with a good dealer. I did almost the same thing with my dealer in WI and he was very stubborn about admitting anythign was wrong. however, its really encouraging to see that you got help, maybe ill try to take mine to another dealer here in MD/DC.

Im going to do the redline thing at some point, then i will filter the fluid to see if there is alot of metal in there....

Congrats on the new (remanufacturted) tranny!!! :thumbup:
Hey sza187, welcome to the DC/MD/VA area. BMW of Sterling is supposed to have a nice service dept, I think Passport BMW is ok too. Quite a few of the guys around here hang out on the DC/MD/VA section of the www.eastcoastbmw.net forum, we have meets every so often too, so check it out!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts