BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am trying to get to the cv boots as well as replace my struts. But i cannot manage to get the tie rod to disconnect from where it is connected. I unscrewed the nut and first used a "gear and pulley" jaw type opener but it didnt budge. then i used a pickle fork and mallet and all that did was break the tie rod joint boot! so how are you supposed to remove these?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so I've been doing this for a while now and all I am doing is ruining my car....the more I hammer the pickle fork in. The more grease comes out of the tierod joint and nothing is budging....the boot is definitely compromised though..... Any input?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I have given up. Neat. Cnt remove thing thing for my life. If someone walked up to me with a gun and said "remove this tie rod or I will shoot you in the face" I would die a painful death because I am worthless.
Please will someone assist me! From wat I have read, pretty much all of you do crazy shit with your car everyday. Please help me out

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Ok I have given up. Neat. Cnt remove thing thing for my life. If someone walked up to me with a gun and said "remove this tie rod or I will shoot you in the face" I would die a painful death because I am worthless.
Please will someone assist me! From wat I have read, pretty much all of you do crazy shit with your car everyday. Please help me out
You are doing it sting if the pickle fork wiggle and is not set in there. Then it will not work. You have to make sure it sets right. Take a video of what you are doing because your doing something wrong it should not be this hard.

I want to help but Idk what ur doing wrong

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are doing it sting if the pickle fork wiggle and is not set in there. Then it will not work. You have to make sure it sets right. Take a video of what you are doing because your doing something wrong it should not be this hard.

I want to help but Idk what ur doing wrong

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
Taking a video now. Thank you

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Your problem is that you are sticking the pickle fork on the wrong side so that the two ends are hitting the tierod its self. Do it from the other side. where the two forks do not touch anything.

then just keep on hitting it good not lil weak hits like you where doing. You have got to give it some muscle you will not hurt anything you are already replacing that tierod.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your problem is that you are sticking the pickle fork on the wrong side so that the two ends are hitting the tierod its self. Do it from the other side. where the two forks do not touch anything.

then just keep on hitting it good not lil weak hits like you where doing. You have got to give it some muscle you will not hurt anything you are already replacing that tierod.
....yeah.........im not trying to replace the tierod. I am trying to replace my sway bar endlinks, cv outer/inner boots as well as putting in kw v1's all around.

I am correct in assuming i have to disconnect the tierod to accomplish the cv boots right? also maybe i should just get a bigger hammer

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Your hammer is fine its your technique. Your sway bar endlinks should just pop off mine did just make sure there is no load on them. CV boots I have never done sense mine are perfectly fine.

I dont know if the XI is different but I have a 325i.

You should post this in the XI forum because they are probably different.

The joint you are hitting is that the sway bar its self because it does not look like the sway bar end links at all.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes yes, i know i am hitting the tie rod, and this is what several people say you must do on an xi to get at the cv boots. But i dont understand why my bushing just got raped when i used the pickle fork.... ecstuning even sells a pickle fork practically identical to mine to get this exact job done! Oh well, a new outer tie rod is around 70 bucks so i could always spend more cash :(

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Thats what happens when you use a pickle fork. Thats why you never use it on something you are not planing on replacing because it destroys the bushing. I am guess you did not know that. So yes you are going to have to replace everything you have to take off with a pickle fork.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats what happens when you use a pickle fork. Thats why you never use it on something you are not planing on replacing because it destroys the bushing. I am guess you did not know that. So yes you are going to have to replace everything you have to take off with a pickle fork.
uggg. great. well i found a huge dead blow hammer and it worked like a charm. but yeah the bushing is so gone its not even funny. Do they sell bushing rebuild kits or am i going to have to purchase a new outer tie rod assembly?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
whew ok, so after getting out the tie rod it was pretty much a cake walk (so far), got the sway bar end link out, disconnected the strut from the steering knuckle, pushed the axel out of the steering knuckle. Now i am going to crawl under and attempt to knock out the axel from the differential!

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok quick update ha. about to go out to dinner but i ended up pulling out just the outer axle because that is all i need to remove. Anywho, got it out, but it seemed like there was oil in the boot, not grease.... at least when i would turn it upside down it would leak stuff.... (check the pictures) but im assuming this is normal? I have bags of grease i am supposed to pack it with, but this stuff seems to liquid like to be grease....what do you guys think?

also is it safe to leave these parts exposed over night? (will be too dark to continue when im back) i put the outer axle in a trash bag, put a newspaper bag over the exposed axle joint actually on the car, and im thinking im going to put a bag over the wheel bearing as well. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I am so unfamiler with the XI front end looks so diffrent then the 325i. I am not sure about the oil I think its fine. Unless you are majorly leaking oil. That must be from the grease IDK wish someone else would pop up in here that is familer with the XI

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks for all the replies wallace! i am going to post a similar thread in the XI forum and see if anyone has any input.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts