BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All,

I went to get my e36 aligned yesterday after doing control arms, steering rack, and tie rods. The tech said that he was able to get it aligned within the correct specs, but it wasn't easy and there were no guarantees.

Wondering if anyone could help me solve this puzzle...

Here's the deal with the car....
-Bought it used, and am not sure what things were done to the suspension.
-For some reason, the struts are installed backwards (i.e. right strut is on the left side and visa versa). My mechanic said that possible this was done for track purposes, no idea.
-The front wheels sit really far forward, aka there is little room between my tire and the fender wall. Actually when I had my snow tires on they would rub the front of the fender wall.
-Wheels and tires are OEM, no aftermarket with a crazy offset.

I plan on redoing the suspension once I find a job, but curious if new struts will solve the problem.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
-The front wheels sit really far forward, aka there is little room between my tire and the fender wall. Actually when I had my snow tires on they would rub the front of the fender wall.
This sounds a lot like the control arms are for a M series and nto a non-M. When I asked about putting M control arm on my 3330i - I was told that the wheels would set farther forward in the well. I knwo of no good reason the struts would be switched between sides.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This sounds a lot like the control arms are for a M series and nto a non-M. When I asked about putting M control arm on my 3330i - I was told that the wheels would set farther forward in the well. I knwo of no good reason the struts would be switched between sides.
The e36 is an M3, and they are the M3 control arms, the problem existed before and after the controls were swapped. Thanks for the input.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts