BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was drivin my cuz's car last night, (02 330i also), driving normal...everything was fine. Then i launched hard from a light and noticed a thump as soon as took off, so i decided to look into it some more, we opened the trunk to make sure it wasnt something rolling around back there, then tried launching again. Same exact thump again, you cant really hear it, but u can feel it...seems like its coming from the tranny or rear axle. I asked him whether he noticed it or not, but he hasnt until i pointed it out. BTW its a step, with about 8000 miles.

any input will be appreciated, TIA

·
I SHOP @ TURNER MOTORSPORT
773 Posts
Mine does that. It feels like the rear slips then engages. I don't know what it is. As soon as it's gets off das boat I will look into it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Re: Hard Launch?

Can you describe your launch (rpms, shift mode, etc). I launch mine hard and don't have this problem.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Re: Hard Launch?

toddv said:
Can you describe your launch (rpms, shift mode, etc). I launch mine hard and don't have this problem.
start at a standstill in manual mode on the steptronic in first gear.... mash the gas pedal till about 5500 rpm before shifting up

BTW todd nice quad..............

wish that was my UPS delivery girl

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE:

i think the transmission is shot because today i noticed a slight thump when the car downshifts from second gear into first.

any more input will be helpful

·
****** User
1,045 Posts
mine thumps.only when i shift at high rpm but when i shift i lift my foot off gas. i dont suggest power braking.. that just f*cks up ur engine. say when u shift.do u let ur foot off the gas?

·
Registered
319 Posts
do a search on this "thump" or "bump" noise. I've seen a few threads talking about it before with lots of good explanations of what could be causing it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
this is one of many problems the step-tranny has been experiencing,
1. nuetral switch breaks
2. thump during up-down shift
3. torque convertor problems

warning!!!! do not brake stand your autotranny. the torque convertor can not handle the abuse and the GM steptranny will record a fault every time you do this then the dealer can say you screwed up the tranny.

I have a very big thump when shifting from 1st to 2nd but only when i start slow then stand on it, some times it'll slam very hard. the dealer hasn't a clue and GM the manufacture says it is within limits -note- GM supplied trannsmissions are built in france and have no relation to the american GM transmissions.

I dont think the ZF trans have been a problem:dunno:

·
Registered
377 Posts
cute little birthmark on teh inner thigh

1 - 20 of 22 Posts