BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Let us know what you think when it arrives. For reference I paid just under $25k for my '05 SMG vert with about the same miles (still under factory warranty) almost 10 years ago, and after a dip prices have held more or less steady over that time period.

It'll be interesting how much I "make" or "lose" if and when I sell it, but I don't see prices going down from here. I think the trough is past, and from here well kept, good interior, sub 100k mile cars will only appreciate, 6MT or SMG, coupe or convertible. Mine had every option and I've made some smart upgrades since then that I don't think anyone is going to penalize me for (head unit, BavSound, engine and SMG tunes, tint... nothing engine, exhaust or suspension related).

And this sale should help your cause ... 39k-Mile 2003 BMW M3 Coupe 6-Speed

GL

maw

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,481 Posts
Convertible and SMG knock off a considerable amount of money on M3s.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Let us know what you think when it arrives.
It is a beauty. In basically mint condition. Looks newer than my 2017 330xi (and has half the miles on it)

I researched how to properly drive the SMG and I have to say I’m digging it.

Probably won’t be putting too many more miles on it so should be able to keep it under 1k per year average overall, keep it super clean, hopefully will appreciate in value over time.

Going to add a BlueBus to it and that’s about it, no mods etc

·
Registered
135 Posts
There’s no “proper” I don’t think, but I find it to work best in M5 (or M6), with a slight letup on the gas during shifts. When I want hard shifts, I don’t let up on the gas during shifts, but that’s brutal and not very fun. By the way, before you flame me, it’s basically what the AMG TCUs do (load reduction during shifts) but they don’t publish that. So try that... at least you don’t need both feet.

I don’t really see the point in using A at all, actually, unless I’m just feeling ultra lazy (at which point I usually drive another car).

Cheers,

maw

·
Registered
26 Posts
A works great around town or when you have a coffee in your hand. (I know I shouldn't bring coffee into that Cinnamon interior!)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not to start another MT / SMG debate, I think you will enjoy it once you get the hang of it. Having grown up on manual cars, I still enjoy it. Keep in mind, my '06 vert is my daily and I was originally commuting in WashDC traffic. But put that bad boy in sport, turn off traction, crank the SMG all the way up, and it is the definition of snappy shifts. Some might even call them violent under full throttle.

Interesting read: In Defense Of SMG | BimmerLife

I strongly recommend the SMG tune from Tuning Tech (Performance Engine Tuning and Dyno Facility | Tuning Tech FS). Not terribly expensive and notably improved shifted (at least IMO).

Good luck!

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,481 Posts
Well if you like SMG and it works that's all that reallly matters. Enjoy and be well.

But like I stated the SMG's do not command the same price as the manuals. Even Wheeler Dealers who flip cars, on their episode dedicated to the E46 M3 said the SMG M3s get 30% less price than the manuals.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yep, I get that the MT’s are worth more pound for pound. My car might have been way too much money for me if it had manual (16k mile mint manual probably would command a hefty sum) so I’m glad it had SMG - plus it’s awesome to drive.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you were open to consider an SMG (not a MT purist or track day superstar, don’t care about resale, etc.), you’ll never regret it. And for your car, color combo and all, unless you drive it into the dirt, the resale will be just fine. One of my other cars is a 500hp AMG monster with “Speedshift”, and the SMG puts that transmission to shame. Granted, that’s a continent crushing sedan and not a sports car by any sense of the word. I also fairly regularly drive a supercharged E9X in 6MT, which I love for about 15 minutes, and then I’m ready to be out of it.

But this is YOUR car. Enjoy it!

maw

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any idea how much “rare” options add to a car’s value? I have an 03.5 Carbon Black 6spd with cinnamon interior. The “rare” bits is that it’s a slick top (sunroof delete) and has manual seats. But it also has cold weather package so it is heated. It has 42k miles so far.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Any idea how much “rare” options add to a car’s value? I have an 03.5 Carbon Black 6spd with cinnamon interior. The “rare” bits is that it’s a slick top (sunroof delete) and has manual seats. But it also has cold weather package so it is heated. It has 42k miles so far.
That sounds like a BMW Individual car. If so, prices are “whatever you can get” higher. I still say track the M3 sales on BaT for the best indication.

maw

·
Registered
2 Posts
That sounds like a BMW Individual car. If so, prices are “whatever you can get” higher. I still say track the M3 sales on BaT for the best indication.

maw
If it’s a non slicktop i’d say right around $30k. It’s actually a BAT car, got it 2years ago and it has been good fun. I did the usual cosmetic refresh and maintenance to it (PDR, paint correction / ceramic coat) but with 2 small kids I am just not driving it as much as I’d like... maybe I’ll put it back on BAT and let another enthusiast enjoy it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If it’s a non slicktop i’d say right around $30k. It’s actually a BAT car, got it 2years ago and it has been good fun. I did the usual cosmetic refresh and maintenance to it (PDR, paint correction / ceramic coat) but with 2 small kids I am just not driving it as much as I’d like... maybe I’ll put it back on BAT and let another enthusiast enjoy it.
EAG does it, there's no reason you can't, using BaT. Good model, actually.

maw

21 - 35 of 35 Posts