BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, What would be a fair price for a 2003.5 E46 m3 Manual convertible With 63,000 miles ?

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
On a 17 year old M3, the results of a PPI, how well its been maintained and how current the services are is the major driver of value. Quite a few cars are going to need much in the first few months of ownership.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On a 17 year old M3, the results of a PPI, how well its been maintained and how current the services are is the major driver of value. Quite a few cars are going to need much in the first few months of ownership.
Well car seems in good shape and I can tell the guy takes good care of he’s cars but I’m sure I’ll need some work eventually

·
Registered
130 Posts
Prices vary widely. Assuming good condition, I’d start here as most of these tend not to be beaters... E46 M3 ... after condition, mileage, convertible (or no), SMG (or no), color combo seems a major price driver. The one you’re looking at sounds like a $22k car +/- $3k depending upon color combo.

maw

·
Registered
36 Posts
Maw is spot on ,after shopping for a good month before finding mine, the manual cars are commanding a hefty premium over SMG cars. Low miles 6 speed, will command plenty. Only thing that would make it more expensive is if its laguna seca blue.....

·
Registered
130 Posts
Maw is spot on ,after shopping for a good month before finding mine, the manual cars are commanding a hefty premium over SMG cars. Low miles 6 speed, will command plenty. Only thing that would make it more expensive is if its laguna seca blue.....
... or if the interior is Cinnamon or Imola Red...

maw

·
Registered
130 Posts
I started my search for 4-seater convertible looking for an E36 in Avus Blue over either Tan or Imola. Never happened. And rather than turn that one into a science project to get more power, I decided to just get an E46. Same classic looks and 4-seater convertible, with a better drivetrain. Looked for a Phoenix Yellow over Imola or Cinnamon. Never happened. Finally settled on timeless TiAG over Imola. Took a while but I found one, and it's aging the way I suspected it would -- timeless -- people don't know if the car is 80's, 90's, 00's or what. And the Imola interior keeps it sexy.

So my view of these cars is, the car is the car. It is what it is, and they made tons of them. No real news there. What turns heads and therefore drives value is the color combo (and I think, convertibles, current trends notwithstanding). Because so many came with Black (boring) or that horrid Gray interior, almost anything else (Cinnamon or Imola) is what drives value.

maw

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Well car seems in good shape and I can tell the guy takes good care of he’s cars but I’m sure I’ll need some work eventually
Define "good shape". Paint quality won't cost you money.

Lack of a bulletproofed VANOS, SFM failure or an SMG pump will cost you substantially. Those are classic E46 M3 failure points. What does the last Blackstone test look like?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought my 2006, M3, 6 Sp Man., Convertible with 64K on the car but only 24K on an M factory replaced engine, (catastrophic VANOS failure), for $18,500.... The car looked perfect with factory condition paint and flawless interior. Enerything worked, top, radio, OEM Nav, Air, Seats, (movement and heat) and power Windows.... Since then, new rear coil springs, replaced RTAB, new rotors/brakes, all new hoses/belts, power steering line, a replacement radio/sound system and multiple brake fluid flushes..... Close to $5,500 later..... I love this car, but you'll have to expect ongoing maintenance costs... Find a good BMW private garage unless you can perform the work yourself.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Now there's something I never thought I'd see.... A whole lot full of cars the same color.... All but that one lonely silver metallic one.... Nice piece of history...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Another one to the point that color combo drives value, even more than SMG/6MT or Coupe/Vert...

Sure, Coupe and 6MT are driving value... until a rare or desirable color combo comes along, at which point SMG Verts do just fine on the value scale. My $.02. Full disclosure, that's also what I thought when I bought mine 10 years ago, so maybe I'm overly biased and hopeful (not that I view cars as investments).

maw

·
Registered
23 Posts
What does the community think about the value of a 2003 Carbon Black Metallic w/ Cinnamon interior vert with SMG in mint condition, 16k miles?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Awesome. Just picked this config up - having it shipped in next week. Looks like a garage queen. Service records were all in good shape. Excited to share pics when I get it!

·
Registered
130 Posts
To me, Cinnamon is the best interior color for Carbon besides Imola. I drove two Carbon over Imola drop tops (one SMG, one 6MT) before settling on a timeless TiAG over Imola. I like a manual shifter for about 15 mins.

Hope you like it. In this market you probably stole it.

maw

·
Registered
23 Posts
It’s in the trailer now coming from Illinois! Excited. I think I got a decent deal (sub $30k) we’ll know for sure when it gets here...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts