BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live around Norther VA. Steelerships around here are Sterling, Fairfax, and couple in MD.

I was wondering what are the average prices in general for inspections. Anyone close to this area would probably be more accurate.

·
Banned
423 Posts
Get it at done at a trusty indy shop, it will turn out to be a lot cheaper man trust me!

·
Registered
413 Posts
I live around Norther VA. Steelerships around here are Sterling, Fairfax, and couple in MD.

I was wondering what are the average prices in general for inspections. Anyone close to this area would probably be more accurate.
Call Jose Cruz at German Swedish Auto Service @ 571 - 322 - 7777. (springfield - Backlick Rd.)

I had him do some work on my 98 540 IA Sport and he is going to check out my new (used) 06 M3. He told me that the Stage I is nothing more than a glorified oil change and worst case should be no more than $100.(although there is an entire process/check list of things to do) Stage II is a bit more work and price will depend on what the car needs. (filter, oil, plugs, etc) He said worst case should be no more than $1100.

If posting names and numbers is against some board rules .. sorry ... first post.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Call Jose Cruz at German Swedish Auto Service @ 571 - 322 - 7777. (springfield - Backlick Rd.)

I had him do some work on my 98 540 IA Sport and he is going to check out my new (used) 06 M3. He told me that the Stage I is nothing more than a glorified oil change and worst case should be no more than $100.(although there is an entire process/check list of things to do) Stage II is a bit more work and price will depend on what the car needs. (filter, oil, plugs, etc) He said worst case should be no more than $1100.

If posting names and numbers is against some board rules .. sorry ... first post.
I already would not go to this guy (although I have never met him) b/c he is DEAD WRONG on the inspection I. Inspection I and II both involve valve adjustments, which are the expensive part. The glorified oil change is "oil service" which is what is required between "inspections". Also, both inspections involve brake fluid bleeds (as they ususlaly happen once every 2 years), and checking the brake pads, as well as a bunch of other little checks.

If you have an '06, why are you taking it to an indy shop? Unless it is REALLY high mileage, isn't it still under factory maintenance?

While this guy may be good, if he does not regularly work on Ms, he is not going to be used to the valve work. Also, make sure he uses TWS oil, which is only required in the Ms and Z8. Just the oil alone costs around $60 for a change, plus another $10-15 for the filter. Thus, even doing the oil change right is going to cost $100 (figuring labor). This guy sounds too cheap for me!

·
Registered
413 Posts
I already would not go to this guy (although I have never met him) b/c he is DEAD WRONG on the inspection I. Inspection I and II both involve valve adjustments, which are the expensive part. The glorified oil change is "oil service" which is what is required between "inspections". Also, both inspections involve brake fluid bleeds (as they ususlaly happen once every 2 years), and checking the brake pads, as well as a bunch of other little checks.

If you have an '06, why are you taking it to an indy shop? Unless it is REALLY high mileage, isn't it still under factory maintenance?

While this guy may be good, if he does not regularly work on Ms, he is not going to be used to the valve work. Also, make sure he uses TWS oil, which is only required in the Ms and Z8. Just the oil alone costs around $60 for a change, plus another $10-15 for the filter. Thus, even doing the oil change right is going to cost $100 (figuring labor). This guy sounds too cheap for me!

hmmm ... Good points ..... I always took my 540 to the Richmond dealer but they couldn't fix my misfire problem. This guy finally got it fixed. But you're right .. oil change parts alone are $100 ....

·
Registered
207 Posts
Champman BMW in Scottsdale AZ has Inspection I and II prices listed for M cars on their website. http://www.chapmanbmw.com/service.asp# see coupon7. Inspection I = $559. Inspection II = $899.

Hope this helps. Maybe you can show your dealership this to see if they will match this price.
Does anyone know of a reputable shop in SoCal that offers Inspections at a similar price?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts