E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why has the price of e46 gone up since 2010? my friend bought an 03 330ci with 48,000 for $11k. Now im seeing e46s being sold for $10k with over 100k miles. Im driving an e36 right now and hopefully within next year i can buy a ZHP . Does anyone think e46 prices will drop again?

·
Registered
347 Posts
The market is what it is. Used car market has increased greatly. As such, many people are downsizing and buying nice used cars at a premium.

I'm purchasing an 03 330i ZHP sedan with 108k miles for 12k....because that's what it's worth to me. While hunting around, virtually all others I found were as much or more and none had problems selling. It's worth what people are willing to pay.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Used car prices in general are rising. I bought my Audi for the same or even less back when I bought it some years ago than the same model years are going for now with more miles.
I notice now that some E46s are more maintaining their used dealer prices instead of decreasing each year.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Don't forget that as the cars build age, some models/colors/packages could have a greater chance of appreciating as their availability becomes less. Build demand and decrease the supply and your prices will go up.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well hopefully i can find a zhp with less than 50k miles for a decent price

·
Registered
347 Posts
well hopefully i can find a zhp with less than 50k miles for a decent price
The only one under 50k in a 6 speed sedan was over 20k.

I had found one that was 65k miles in good shape, but had been in an accident and they were asking 17,900 and refused to budge. They sold it before I had a chance try and work things out.

I got a "deal" comparatively speaking for a ZHP in great shape, just higher mileage at 12k, given the current state of the market.

·
Registered
92 Posts
because the only good looking 3 series in recent years is the e92 coupe. the e90 is terrible, the f30 is terrible and the facelift e46 still doesn't look outdated in comparison

·
Registered
529 Posts
I think I overpaid for my car a bit, $12.5k for my '04 330i a few months ago, but E46 prices are definitely going to dip once that F30 starts showing up everywhere.

·
Registered
577 Posts
My 2005 Mtec1 330Xi with 75K was 17,500 a couple months ago. Same general car new is close to 60.. the math aint hard.... :)

Dave

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Why has the price of e46 gone up since 2010? my friend bought an 03 330ci with 48,000 for $11k. Now im seeing e46s being sold for $10k with over 100k miles. Im driving an e36 right now and hopefully within next year i can buy a ZHP . Does anyone think e46 prices will drop again?
No one wants a used drama laden E90 so the E46 is the next best bet for people who can't afford an F30 as yet.

I read an article in the Week that notes because of the economy. Luxury CPO cars sales have dipped well below new Luxury car sales and used Luxury car sales. People don't want to finance a pricey Luxury used car that is 3-5 years old at 70% the new car price when they can buy a 5-10 year old used car at 30 % - 50% the new car price.

Since 2000 Cars have become so much more reliable that an E46 and even the E39 is a very safe buy considering all the HPFP, Battery Coding, and Design Flaw drama you get with an E90 or E60 car.

I almost took the bait on buying an E60 car but I'm deciding to wait on the F10 facelift.

That said if I was to buy a BMW today with $30,000 budget I would skip the E90/E60 CPOs all together and just get a used E46 or finance an F10/F30.

I mean who the frak forgets to put the engine temperature monitor on the odometer?!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I paid $8900 with 125,000 miles for mine last year in late march. Put over 11K into it , no major mods, maintenance only. Well, I did have the hood resprayed, an Mtech front cover, and CSL replicas but that was just about $3500 bucks. If I could do it over, I would have purchased a new BMW with a monthly payment instead of constantly putting money into my "inexpensive" used BMW. Although I do enjoy the DIY, sometimes it would be nice to just take it in for service.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The only one under 50k in a 6 speed sedan was over 20k.

I had found one that was 65k miles in good shape, but had been in an accident and they were asking 17,900 and refused to budge. They sold it before I had a chance try and work things out.

I got a "deal" comparatively speaking for a ZHP in great shape, just higher mileage at 12k, given the current state of the market.
Dang 20k? Thinking of selling my '03 ZHP. Has 42k miles and is in excellent shape. Hate to sell it but wife won't let me have 2 BMWs. Saving for an E90 M3.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts