BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

What do you think my car is worth? Thinking about a 981 boxster or a Nd Miata next

176k 2005 vert zhp manual trans
60952606344__FECCEF0D-EBF5-4BF0-9B55-425E9B6044C1.JPG

New Wiper fluid pump
New thermostat
New water pump
No oil leaks.
Consumes 0.5 qt per 2-3k. O2 pilot mod completed already

About 7 k in parts
Parts:
Everything that touches coolant including hard pipes
All sensors (maf/o2)
New dipstick orings
All air gaskets and air intake manifold gaskets
Ofhg done
New alternator all pullies and tensioner
New belts
New radiator
New horns
Fuel pump/filter
Shifter bushings
Full exhaust+ heat shield (zhp sound retained)
2 new rims
Vert top fixed (wires+ latches) and works fine
New floor mats
Clutch holds perfect
New pads+ rotors+ 2 front calipers 4corners
New starter
Crank position sensor
New vanos exhaust solenoid
All vac hoses done
Replaced gas cap
Aux input installed
Vert motor locking mechanism zip tied as preventative measure
Power steering lines + reservoir

Only problem small evap leak. (Can still pass inspection with 1 inc) just keep > 3/4 tank when setting readiness monitors.
AC works but is weak. Needs charge. Very slow leak.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
425 Posts
Wow, this is going to break your heart unless you are a veteran auto enthusiast and know the score already.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ha I did all but exhaust work myself. I think I know the ballpark answer. I’m deep end as far as these go haha

Just want to make sure. Bought it at 156k In 2017 Want to hit 200k minimum.

I drive around at night to lower the cost per mile

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
42 Posts
Depends on the buyer you can find. $6k since it's a nice convertible to someone who is not an enthusiast, maybe more if you find a buyer who recognizes the parts and work put in.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, that’s more than I thought. I was thinking 4-5 ish. But, for now I will he holding. It’s a high quality problem. It’s too reliable, and I can’t justify a new car. Heck, even if the motor blew I could grab another for 5-600 and swap parts over. (All fcp euro)

·
Registered
906 Posts
I am an expert at this - just ask me....:D

I actually have the same car '05 ZHP manual w/105k ...It's in daily driver condition with some dings. unfortunately, its orig ZHP wheels are missing...I am no rush to replace them.

just for clarity, the "$7k in parts" was parts and labor right? (excl. exhaust) ...And why was the exhaust replaced ? Car is from a dry state and its stainless steel?

ZHP 'verts seem to be less popular than coupes, and about the same or less as 4-door sedans.

I am wondering how the interior looks...A worn center console and driver seat is expected.

Right now (June '20) I think it's worth $6500 give or take. In October it's worth less. Also, the Pandemic could very well have an impact on used car prices in general if things don't improve.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
About 1500 in labor charges.

Exhaust was done because bad cats. Previous owner didn’t address the bad maf. Grabbed 2 used for 300.

North car for much of its life. nD /nj
Interior is decent, slight bubble on dash and cracking on drivers seat. I’d say 5-6/10

·
Registered
906 Posts
So much for my expertise. A buyer in Texas, might not do the research, but I think a Northern car w/176k is worth $500-$1000 less than a car from a dry state. but that's me...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds about right, superficial rust on door joints and parking brakes, that’s it. It was not too bad.

Thanks for the input. I’ll continue my night drives to lower the cost per mile

·
Registered
565 Posts
Downgrading to a Boxter? Really?

There was an episode of 'Two and a Half Men' where Alan's Boxter was stolen that you should watch.
Oh boy... fighting words :p

I love the 981 although I’d rather have a 2006 986 (post IMS issue) in S manual. 981 is holding value pretty well...that will cost u three stacks of High Society.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Oh boy... fighting words :p
I'm not anti-Porsche. In fact, I still miss my 951.

The thing is, the Boxter will always be labeled 'the poor man's Porsche' whereas people will always look at a BMW Cabriolet and think you're ostentatious. Not that that is a good thing.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Beautiful example of a ZHP and a manual on top of that. I would keep it because of it's condition and resale is so low.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm not anti-Porsche. In fact, I still miss my 951.

The thing is, the Boxter will always be labeled 'the poor man's Porsche' whereas people will always look at a BMW Cabriolet and think you're ostentatious. Not that that is a good thing.
Nah, those labels are for people who don't know anything. Boxster is not only a great car, it saved the existence of Porsche. BMW cab doesn't say ostentatious- that's a Maybach Exelero.

·
:D
7,813 Posts
why do people on this forum severely undervalue e46 cars? it's bizarre and has been happening as long as i remember.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts