E46 Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Suck as much of the old fluid out of the reservoir as you can with a turkey baster or the like, fill with clean fluid, open each corner in order and let gravity do it's job. You'd be surprised how little time it takes for the fluid to run clean. Top off the reservoir as you go with new fluid, and Bob's your uncle.
The small amount you miss in the DSC module is negligible IMO.
Cheers.

Registered
'04 330ci 6MT
You another one who can't effin sleep?
I'm thinking about DIY jobs. Mine passed her MOT yesterday.
But I have decided to replace the calipers and pads all round anyway. Hence the bleeder.
Sorry, was asleep 馃槂

If you haven't bought the calipers yet I urge you not to get the cheap ones off ebay. When one of mine seized I bought a Budweg from Brakes International on ebay, which started weeping after a few months, tripping the warning light trifecta and ruining the paint on my wheel. I'd kept the original, so sent the original off to be rebuilt by a company called BCS only for that to seize again after a couple of years. I finally did what I should have done in the first place and bought a genuine ATE reman, from Autodoc. I used PayPal's "Returns on Us" to send the core back for the deposit. I bought on one of Autodoc's better discount days and it was no more than the nasty ebay cheapie and less than the bad rebuild. Autodoc also have the ATE SL fluid at a good price too (and also the ATE Typ 200 fluid if you're tracking it, but the SL is more than good for road use).

Pads and discs I got a great deal on from Harry Fairbairn BMW in Kirkcaldy (delivered, I'm in the SE). Their parts department always does "forum discount" if you ask, and they had an extra-special prices on brakes that month. Call up and ask them if you need anything, they'll cut you a deal if they can. Was cheaper than ECP crap for genuine parts!

FWIW, my bleeding method almost exactly mirrors @kaboom28 . I flush at least every two years, so my fluid doesn't get old and dark enough to easily see when the fluid I'm pushing out turns from old to new, so I put through more than enough to be sure. I put 1L in my Laser bleeder, and top it up with another 500ml can half way. It's cheap enough from Autodoc not to worry if I'm using more than I need to. 拢6.50 a litre, on the right day. I've never had to bleed my ABS/DSC module as I've never got air in it, but if I had to I'd use INPA. For caliper changes and regular flushing i don't think there's a need.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Sorry, was asleep 馃槂

If you haven't bought the calipers yet I urge you not to get the cheap ones off ebay. When one of mine seized I bought a Budweg from Brakes International on ebay, which started weeping after a few months, tripping the warning light trifecta and ruining the paint on my wheel. I'd kept the original, so sent the original off to be rebuilt by a company called BCS only for that to seize again after a couple of years. I finally did what I should have done in the first place and bought a genuine ATE reman, from Autodoc. I used PayPal's "Returns on Us" to send the core back for the deposit. I bought on one of Autodoc's better discount days and it was no more than the nasty ebay cheapie and less than the bad rebuild. Autodoc also have the ATE SL fluid at a good price too (and also the ATE Typ 200 fluid if you're tracking it, but the SL is more than good for road use).

Pads and discs I got a great deal on from Harry Fairbairn BMW in Kirkcaldy (delivered, I'm in the SE). Their parts department always does "forum discount" if you ask, and they had an extra-special prices on brakes that month. Call up and ask them if you need anything, they'll cut you a deal if they can. Was cheaper than ECP crap for genuine parts!

FWIW, my bleeding method almost exactly mirrors @kaboom28 . I flush at least every two years, so my fluid doesn't get old and dark enough to easily see when the fluid I'm pushing out turns from old to new, so I put through more than enough to be sure. I put 1L in my Laser bleeder, and top it up with another 500ml can half way. It's cheap enough from Autodoc not to worry if I'm using more than I need to. 拢6.50 a litre, on the right day. I've never had to bleed my ABS/DSC module as I've never got air in it, but if I had to I'd use INPA. For caliper changes and regular flushing i don't think there's a need.
Thanks for that.
I do have INPA but still trying to get it to work. It's having problems connecting to the DME.
NCS Expert too (from a Win XP VM). I haven't managed to sort it out yet. Going out again today to try with the firewall disabled.
But I doubt that will resolve the problems.
I think it might have something to do with COM1 port. I understand INPA requires exclusive use of it.
My problem there is that my laptop doesn't support Ports. There are no physical ports available. Only USB.
It's an ongoing battle.

Registered
'04 330ci 6MT
Thanks for that.
I do have INPA but still trying to get it to work. It's having problems connecting to the DME.
NCS Expert too (from a Win XP VM). I haven't managed to sort it out yet. Going out again today to try with the firewall disabled.
But I doubt that will resolve the problems.
I think it might have something to do with COM1 port. I understand INPA requires exclusive use of it.
My problem there is that my laptop doesn't support Ports. There are no physical ports available. Only USB.
It's an ongoing battle.
Getting it working can be a real pain sometimes. All modern laptops lack physical COM ports though so it's probably not that. (I've held on to one old Dell for its physical com port but I don't need to use it, I run inpa/ncs and ista on my USB-only laptops*). There are a few things you can check/try to get it working, but that might be a discussion for another thread.

*Running on windows 10 - no need for an XP VM. Did you follow @BaliDawg 's guide on here? (I actually installed from elsewhere myself but he knows what he's talking about)

How to Install BMW Standard Tools

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Getting it working can be a real pain sometimes. All modern laptops lack physical COM ports though so it's probably not that. (I've held on to one old Dell for its physical com port but I don't need to use it, I run inpa/ncs and ista on my USB-only laptops*). There are a few things you can check/try to get it working, but that might be a discussion for another thread.

*Running on windows 10 - no need for an XP VM. Did you follow @BaliDawg 's guide on here? (I actually installed from elsewhere myself but he knows what he's talking about)

Yes. I have been there. He suggests reinstallation as a sort of cure all solution but in this case the software is trying to connect to the cable
and handling the failures so it's not the software. The software is doing what it is supposed to do. This is a communication issue.
It seems to be a COM1 issue like I said earlier and since I don't have COM ports the indication at this point I might have to find
an old machine.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

Actually, you might help me out here. There is a file that the EDIABAS server uses called EDIABAS.INI
Should be in C:\EDIABAS\BIN folder
It's 13Kb and it's a text file so you can open it and read it in Notepad
Any chance you could do that and cut and paste it here?
I want to see what you have particularly in the Ports section.

Registered
'04 330ci 6MT
Actually, you might help me out here. There is a file that the EDIABAS server uses called EDIABAS.INI
Should be in C:\EDIABAS\BIN folder
It's 13Kb and it's a text file so you can open it and read it in Notepad
Any chance you could do that and cut and paste it here?
I want to see what you have particularly in the Ports section.
It's on a standalone laptop I only use for diag and don't ever connect to the LAN or internet (so I don't have to worry about any nasties in software on it I've downloaded from random sources). I could copy the files off and PM them to you later but, in the meantime...

The bit you're looking for I think is actually in OBD.INI

Your Edibas.ini file should have a line
Code:
[Configuration]
Interface =STD:OBD
Then my odb.ini has
Code:
[ODB]
Port=Com8
Hardware=USB
RETRY=ON
I edited it to Port 8 myself, because I had a conflict with the default port and I could see 8 was free. Then, in Windows, I've edited the the port setting for the cable to Com 8, and set the latency to 1.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
It's on a standalone laptop I only use for diag and don't ever connect to the LAN or internet (so I don't have to worry about any nasties in software on it I've downloaded from random sources). I could copy the files off and PM them to you later but, in the meantime...

The bit you're looking for I think is actually in OBD.INI

Your Edibas.ini file should have a line
Code:
[Configuration]
Interface =STD:OBD
Then my odb.ini has
Code:
[ODB]
Port=Com8
Hardware=USB
RETRY=ON
I edited it to Port 8 myself, because I had a conflict with the default port and I could see 8 was free. Then, in Windows, I've edited the the port setting for the cable to Com 8, and set the latency to 1.
The interface is same as mine in the EDIABAS.ini file.

What folder is your OBD.INI file in? I don't have that under the EDIABAS folder or its subs

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
same C:\EDIABAS\BIN
Thanks.
Well I don't have it nor is it on the installation disk. I have just read somewhere that it wasn't introduced until V6 Ediabas.
I have V3.2. Any idea what version yours is?

Registered
'04 330ci 6MT
No idea. It was a relatively recent install on that laptop (last year?), so probably a late version. I have an older netbook I installed a version on 10 years ago. That might be different.

I've DM'd you my edibas.ini and odb.ini

Honestly though, I'd take BaliDawg's advice and delete everything, then re-install from his links. That's a known good package. I used the thread and links on bimmerforums though, but only because I found them first.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
No idea. It was a relatively recent install on that laptop (last year?), so probably a late version. I have an older netbook I installed a version on 10 years ago. That might be different.

I've DM'd you my edibas.ini and odb.ini

Honestly though, I'd take BaliDawg's advice and delete everything, then re-install from his links. That's a known good package. I used the thread and links on bimmerforums though, but only because I found them first.
Thanks man that's great. Appreciate it.
I have looked at BaliDawg's package before and it too refers to COM ports in the content and I think that's my problem.
They don't exist on my DELL Inspiron 1545.
The ports just aren' there and there's no slots in which to add a card.
So no software that requires them is going to work.
Having those files is good though.
What I will do is go through them and change anything that might be related to your machine, back mine
up and copy yours to the folder and see what happens.
But at the end of the day I reckon I'm on the lookout for an old WinXP 32bit box with COM Ports.

Registered
'04 330ci 6MT
they're virtual com ports, not physical. you really don't need physical com ports to install inpa/ncs or ista

Registered
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
they're virtual com ports, not physical. you really don't need physical com ports to install inpa/ncs or ista
This is the device manager on my Win10 tower.
That Ports (COM & LPT) device is a physical device not a virtual device. It's a PCI card in the motherboard.
I have no such physical hardware on my laptop. Nothing to see in device manager.
So when you open device manager you can't see a Ports device listed in the device tree?
It is possible you have virtual COM ports set up. That I will have to explore.

Attachments

Registered
'04 330ci 6MT
This is the device manager on my Win10 tower.
That Ports (COM & LPT) device is a physical device not a virtual device. It's a PCI card in the motherboard.
I have no such physical hardware on my laptop. Nothing to see in device manager.
So when you open device manager you can't see a Ports device listed in the device tree?
It is possible you have virtual COM ports set up. That I will have to explore.
It shows up when you plug the cable in

Font Rectangle Circle Number Terrestrial plant

If it doesn't perhaps there's an error with the drivers? Just guessing here, don't know.

Super Moderator
2004 325i automagic
motive is what i have. u don't have to fill up to capacity. u don't even have to put a drop in if u want, just fill MC reservoir with brake fluid. close MC with Motive cover. pressurize. bleed. maintain MC brake fluid level.
I run the motive bleeder empty as well, and just make sure to keep the reservior topped up. There is less clean up this way.

Fwiw, I installed a tire valve stem (metal clamp in style) to make depressurizing the motive bleeder much easier.

Registered
motive is what i have. u don't have to fill up to capacity. u don't even have to put a drop in if u want, just fill MC reservoir with brake fluid. close MC with Motive cover. pressurize. bleed. maintain MC brake fluid level.

i have cycled DSC with schwaben during brake fluid flush.
Yep, that鈥檚 what I do too. Don鈥檛 fill it. Just overfill the reservoir and use the pressure bleeder to pressurize the system. Works like a charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
EUREKA!! I'm connecting!! Know what it was?
I had missed the OBDSetup.exe cmd file run at the end of the install.
The very last step. Doooh!!
Got the two big black dots on Battery and Ignition!!
I still appear to be missing some GRP files though. E46 in particular so need to figure that out.
They probably weren't copied across during the installation. I will find them.
Thanks for you assistance. Especially the virtual COM ports suggestion.
Really appreciate it.
(NCS Expert on the VM next)

Attachments

21 - 40 of 49 Posts