E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pressure Brake Bleeders. Does anyone have one? Use one?

I am looking for one but some of them have 3 and 4 liter capacities.

I don't know what the capacity of the E46 brake system is but I'm pretty sure it's not 3 or 4 liters.

I am looking maybe for something 2L that will work ok with 1L.

What are your thoughts?

It looks a simple enough process. Will they clear air out of the DSC module too?

·
Registered
36 Posts

Best purchase I ever made. Works on all my cars.

Note, that for BMW's you will still need a friend.... the Bentley process requires a lower PSI (under 16lbs) and you still need to pump the brake/clutch to get fluid to flow. But I've used this to flush systems and when installing new lines/calipers and it's worked perfectly.

For home DIY you're not going to need more than 2L and if you do, it's simple enough to re-fill between sides.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks right. It's pricey though in th UK. £91 ($125) That's twice what it is on the US site.
Nearly 4 times the price of a 3L one. Don't make sense. I think the pedal pumping might be to
get rid of any air in the DSC module. You could do that on your own. Cheers.

·
Registered
2001 325ci
1,227 Posts
motive is what i have. u don't have to fill up to capacity. u don't even have to put a drop in if u want, just fill MC reservoir with brake fluid. close MC with Motive cover. pressurize. bleed. maintain MC brake fluid level.
Will they clear air out of the DSC module too?
i have cycled DSC with schwaben during brake fluid flush.

·
Registered
'04 330ci 6MT
893 Posts
I use the Laser 2L one.Looks the same as Corellian's picture but available here in the UK. Paid £32.50, but it was an open box. 2L is the maximum capacity, you don't need to fill it right up with fluid! Just as long as you make sure there's always enough to cover the outlet so you aren't pumping air into your system...

Edit, from what LL says maybe it doesn't even need that much. Haven't tried it myself with less than that though!

·
Super Moderator
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,950 Posts
motive is what i have. u don't have to fill up to capacity. u don't even have to put a drop in if u want, just fill MC reservoir with brake fluid. close MC with Motive cover. pressurize. bleed. maintain MC brake fluid level.
^This. Motive is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

i have cycled DSC with schwaben during brake fluid flush.
That's good to know actually. Did wonder if you could just apply pressure to a full reservoir and do one wheel at a time.
What do you mean by cycled the DSC?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use the Laser 2L one.Looks the same as Corellian's picture but available here in the UK. Paid £32.50, but it was an open box. 2L is the maximum capacity, you don't need to fill it right up with fluid! Just as long as you make sure there's always enough to cover the outlet so you aren't pumping air into your system...

Edit, from what LL says maybe it doesn't even need that much. Haven't tried it myself with less than that though!
Cheers.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

You another one who can't effin sleep?
I'm thinking about DIY jobs. Mine passed her MOT yesterday.
But I have decided to replace the calipers and pads all round anyway. Hence the bleeder.

·
Super Moderator
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,950 Posts
What do you mean by cycled the DSC?
Bleeding the system the regular way isn't enough alone to clear all the air out of the ABS/DSC system. You have to use INPA to cycle the ABS pump and re-bleed. Alternatively, I have heard of jumping pins in the fusebox to turn on the unit while you bleed.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bleeding the system the regular way isn't enough alone to clear all the air out of the ABS/DSC module. You have to use INPA to cycle the pump and re-bleed. Alternatively, I have heard of jumping pins in the fusebox to turn on the unit while you bleed.
That's not a bad idea. I'll have to check out the wiring diagram. But maybe if you just press the pedal that's enough to flush the chambers.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
with 1st question, air would come in if level went too low while bleeding. i assume hence asked.
cycling means opening/closing individual valves in the AS/DSC module to expel air.
Ok. By what means did you open/close valves?

·
Registered
2005 330xi Auto, 2006 330ci Vert Auto
363 Posts
If I recall correctly, you technically only need 1 liter to flush your brake system. However, in the US at least, all brake fluids are now the same color. Therefore when you're flushing the fluid, you need to somehow determine when the old fluid has been replaced out of the lines with new fluid. For me, I let the fluid flow long enough that I'm 100% certain there is no more old fluid in the lines. As such, I'm probably wasting more fluid than necessary. I always buy 2 liters just so I don't run out.

If you're using a pressure bleeder, you must make 100% sure you don't run out of fluid in the bleeder. Otherwise you will introduce air.

In order to flush the DSC, you have to activate it. Most people use INPA to do that as you can't activate by simply pressing on the brake pedal with 1 wheel up in the air for the bleeding :). For me, I don't bother with the DSC. That's just me.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If I recall correctly, you technically only need 1 liter to flush your brake system. However, in the US at least, all brake fluids are now the same color. Therefore when you're flushing the fluid, you need to somehow determine when the old fluid has been replaced out of the lines with new fluid. For me, I let the fluid flow long enough that I'm 100% certain there is no more old fluid in the lines. As such, I'm probably wasting more fluid than necessary. I always buy 2 liters just so I don't run out.

If you're using a pressure bleeder, you must make 100% sure you don't run out of fluid in the bleeder. Otherwise you will introduce air.

In order to flush the DSC, you have to activate it. Most people use INPA to do that as you can't activate by simply pressing on the brake pedal with 1 wheel up in the air for the bleeding :). For me, I don't bother with the DSC. That's just me.
If you look at the hard lines the bore is only 2.5 mm diameter. 5 mm2 cross section area. That's 5 ccs per meter length.
About 8 m of hard lines is 40 ccs. Not a whole lot of fluid in the hard lines.
If you ran the engine and pressed the brake that would cycle the DSC wouldn't it?

·
Registered
2005 330xi Auto, 2006 330ci Vert Auto
363 Posts
If you look at the hard lines the bore is only 2.5 mm diameter. 5 mm2 cross section area. That's 5 ccs per meter length.
About 8 m of hard lines is 40 ccs. Not a whole lot of fluid in the hard lines.
If you ran the engine and pressed the brake that would cycle the DSC wouldn't it?
You're neglecting the fluid in the reservoir and that you have 4 brake lines. Look, feel free to do what you want. Like I said, technically you only need 1 liter (only come in 1 liter cans). I was only relaying my experience. An extra liter of brake fluid is $8.69 from FCP Euro for me. I realize it may be different for you over the pond. For me, I much rather get the extra liter and make sure I don't run out of fluid in the pressure bleeder and that I'm 100% sure I got all the old fluid out of the lines. YMMV.

In terms of the DSC, my understanding is that you have to activate the anti-lock brake. Clearly you cannot do this with one wheel of the ground, hence people use INPA. As I mentioned earlier, for me, I don't bother. Again, YMMV.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Suck as much of the old fluid out of the reservoir as you can with a turkey baster or the like, fill with clean fluid, open each corner in order and let gravity do it's job. You'd be surprised how little time it takes for the fluid to run clean. Top off the reservoir as you go with new fluid, and Bob's your uncle.
The small amount you miss in the DSC module is negligible IMO.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You're neglecting the fluid in the reservoir and that you have 4 brake lines. Look, feel free to do what you want. Like I said, technically you only need 1 liter (only come in 1 liter cans). I was only relaying my experience. An extra liter of brake fluid is $8.69 from FCP Euro for me. I realize it may be different for you over the pond. For me, I much rather get the extra liter and make sure I don't run out of fluid in the pressure bleeder and that I'm 100% sure I got all the old fluid out of the lines. YMMV.

In terms of the DSC, my understanding is that you have to activate the anti-lock brake. Clearly you cannot do this with one wheel of the ground, hence people use INPA. As I mentioned earlier, for me, I don't bother. Again, YMMV.
I refered specifically to hard lines. 3 times. That's what I was on about. 40 ccs is 8 x 5 ccs. That's allowing 2 meters for each of the 4 lines.
There will be the hoses and the caliper chamber to add to that. Estimating how much fluid to push through each bleed screw.

I have 5L of fluid on its way with the bleeder.

So how much travel do you have on you brake pedal before it bites?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts