BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 01 325i in sept.

The first time I washed it I noticed a paint defect in the hood.

I brought it to a Bmw dealer and a rep happened to be there- he said that it was repainted so they would not cover it.

Shouldnt that have been told when I bought it that it was certified except the paint on the hood.

Iam sure they knew it was repainted and they still certified it.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Believe it!!!
846 Posts
i have a cert pre owned... and you can probably make an argument if the paint looks bad and you werent told... u can call BMWNA.. that would be your best bet

·
Registered
132 Posts
I bought a pre-owned certified from a dealership thinking it meant something, but to tell you the truth i don't know the difference if i were to have bought one off tha street!

pre-owned certified = pre-owned headaches and pre-owned :cartman: if you ask me... sorry, i know this doesn't help, but i just had to get that out there.:dunno:

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have a pre-owned and it's been ok. I only recently went over 50K miles, but the one time I've taken it in since the pre-owned warrenty kicked in, the dealer fixed some hose problem that made my check engine light turn on and the idle really rough. Anyway, they fixed it all under warrenty and I just had to pay the deductable ($50).

I wish they would have told me about the deductable when I bought the car though. I mean it's not like it's a lot of money but you think they would have said something.

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,376 Posts
Seems to me that some dealerships are less effective at honoring the CPO warranty than others. It doesn't seem to be as heavily regulated as the new car factory warranty (and some dealerships are pretty bad at honoring the factory warranty, let alone the CPO warranties).

The CPO warranty is apparently supposed to cover everything except the radio and trim items (my guess is that one of the particularly common problems, the moonroof shade, is considered trim :tsk: ).

Looking at 2000 323i's and 2001 325's with 45k miles and a CPO warranty marked for $25,999 or $24,999 makes me wonder about the real value of this warranty, when there are similar cars with half the mileage available from private party owners for $20k.

·
Registered
154 Posts
i also bought a certified ...

:thumbup:

I also bought a certified car from a local dealer. I think it’s the right way to go.

I have had a couple of problems, all fixed. One being a rust spot on my hood (and my hood had been repainted) the rust spot started from a weld seam.

I told the dealer that I wanted it fixed, when I dropped off the car for it’s inspection. I also mentioned that if they chose not to fix it , then I wanted to speak to the BMW Canada rep.

They told me to just wait until they had a chance to look at it. A couple of days latter I got a call saying my car was ready. When I asked about the hood, they told me, no problem the installed a new hood.

A new hood! My buddy says the parts cost and labor associated with that would have cost a fortune.

Thank you B-K Motors
:D

If your buying used, buy certified.

I think it also helps to get to know your dealer and if necessary call in the big guns (BMW)

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Is suspension covered under CPO? When I bounce the car with my hand, suspension makes squeaks

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am happy with my CPO... I am still under my new warranty, so I haven't actually used the CPO warranty yet... As for the $50, around here, that's a half hour of labor... You'd have to probably pay that minimally for any repair, so if you get something major taken care of its to your favor... I agree that some CPO cars hsouldn't be though... My boss bought one that had all sorts of issues (body damage, engine troubles, etc) but to their credit, they have taken care of all of the problems... Even though it's certified, you still have to treat it like any other used car purchase... I had them put mine on the lift before I bought it!

·
Registered
132 Posts
i just recently had the brakes done and an oil change and Claridge's BMW. they charged me $1100!! is none of this under the CPO warranty?

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,344 Posts
stock328ci said:
i just recently had the brakes done and an oil change and Claridge's BMW. they charged me $1100!! is none of this under the CPO warranty?
Why would maintenance items be covered under warranty?

That said, $1100 is an obscene rip off. My dealer charges $71 for an oil change and my independent shop said they would replace the brakes (4 new BMW rotors, pads, sensors, etc.) for $380.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
380 is reaaly cheap considering
rotors are around $45 each = 180
pads are ~ $120
sensors 2x16 = $32
he is doing all that for $50 labor? Dam thats cheap

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,344 Posts
gokcer said:
380 is reaaly cheap considering
rotors are around $45 each = 180
pads are ~ $120
sensors 2x16 = $32
he is doing all that for $50 labor? Dam thats cheap
Front rotors are $45 x 2 = $90
Rear rotors are $31 x 2 = $62
Pads are $50/axle x 2 = $100
Sensors are $12 x2 = $24
Parts total = $276

Labor = 1.5 hrs @ $70/hr = $105

Total = $381

·
Registered
417 Posts
If you're changing the pads anyway you might consider moving to something other than OEM. I hated the brake dust I had with my OEM pads, so when I had to change recently I put Hawk HPS pads all around. They are very low dust and have the same stopping power as the OEM pads. I think I paid around $120 for all 4 pads.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Goodyear service quoted me $680 for all that. I did all mine for around $250 & I didnt know squat about fixing cars. After that I am a car repair junkie now. Hehehe

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think the warranty only would cover "paint defects", not normal wear and tear such as paint chips and scratches.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yea good luck getting them to repaint your hood with the factory warrenty let alone the CPO. If you read the info booklet about the CPO warrenty it has a good comparison between what it covers and what the factory warrenty covers. There are a lot of things the CPO doesn't cover.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts