BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I was reading that thread about the M3 vs SRT-4 and the discussion came up to powershifting. What exactly is powershifting? Is it shifting without using the clutch? Or shifting while keeping the engine revs high? How bad is it on the tranny?
How much can you gain on the 0-60 or 1/4-mile when powershifting? Do car magazines reviewers powershift when testing vehicles for 0-60?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
From what I've always read in mags, they always clutch shift.
Some are faster than others and then some cars lend themselves to faster shifts than others. BMW is NOT a fast shift mechanism even if you're very quick.
Mag tester do try high and low rev launches to maximize grip/traction.
Many owners are not so willing to put their car through some of that mechanical "torture". I like to give my car a good run for they money.
Afterall, it IS a performance automobile. :)

TT

·
Mooove, get out the way!
1,051 Posts
Power shifting is shifting without letting your foot off of the gas. Keep it completely floored and shift as fast as you can. I would imagine that this would be hard on your clutch and transmission.

Speed shifting (I think that's what it's called) is shifting without using the clutch.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
hmm, Driven lots of cars and the only reason to back off the gas for a split second is to prevent it from attacking the revlimiter.
It's like, snap your fingers, in that split second time you kick the clutch, lift the gas and switch gears.
Power shifting with your right foot planted wouldn't make it that much quicker.

·
Registered
568 Posts
how can u switch gears w/out using the clutch? Makes no sense?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
LOL There is no such thing as Clutchless Shifting. Anyone who tryies to put the car in gear w/o clutch will know right away it is imposible. LOUD BAND OR GEAR MESHING SOUND. Powershifting is flooring the gas pedal while shifting(using clucth). I do it once in a while, I can usually shift pretty fast that I dont hit redline during powershifts.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
gokcer said:
LOL There is no such thing as Clutchless Shifting. Anyone who tryies to put the car in gear w/o clutch will know right away it is imposible. LOUD BAND OR GEAR MESHING SOUND.
You are wrong, sorry. I have shifted without using the clutch. Not in the BMW yet but in other manuals. You have to match the engine speed perfectly and at a certain RPM you can shift without clutching. With some practice it can be done and it will not harm the clutch or tranny.

·
I give up.........
356 Posts
Agree :thumbup:

GeoMystic said:

You are wrong, sorry. I have shifted without using the clutch. Not in the BMW yet but in other manuals. You have to match the engine speed perfectly and at a certain RPM you can shift without clutching. With some practice it can be done and it will not harm the clutch or tranny.

·
next mod: recaro child seat
2,237 Posts
LOL There is no such thing as Clutchless Shifting
not for speed, but with rev matching you most certainly can shift without the clutch, without grinding or banging gears...takes some practice, and some wear and tear, but it most certainly can be done...

as you slowly lift of the gas sometime, put a little pressure on the the shifter and it will slip into neutral....blip the throttle in neutral and put some pressure on the shifter to whatever gear you need, then when the engine and tranny speed match it will slip it...again, i do not advise this, but it is possible....

used to do it in my hondas, and my VW, haven't tried it in this car, but i do it in my GFs leased Golf GLS on occassion...

it was useful if you ever snapped a clutch cable....

oh, and if you are going to powershift (without lifting off the gas) be sure to shut off the traction control, or any slight advantage will be lost as the computer prevents wheel slippage..

·
OG Moderator Extraordinaire
5,829 Posts
GeoMystic said:

I've done it too... not on my BMW though

·
www.piratecove.org
3,699 Posts
yeah my brother didnt know what powershifting was either, so at the next stop sign i showed him up to third gear :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
gokcer said:
LOL There is no such thing as Clutchless Shifting. Anyone who tryies to put the car in gear w/o clutch will know right away it is imposible. LOUD BAND OR GEAR MESHING SOUND. Powershifting is flooring the gas pedal while shifting(using clucth). I do it once in a while, I can usually shift pretty fast that I dont hit redline during powershifts.
I have shifted without a clutch for as long as I can remember. I once had a VW Bug that had a bad throwout bearing. In college, I used to start it in 1st gear at lights and then shift easily from gear to gear until i had to kill the engine at the next stop. I easily shift the BMW without the clutch. That is what the synchos are for.

·
next mod: recaro child seat
2,237 Posts
LOL There is no such thing as Clutchless Shifting. Anyone who tryies to put the car in gear w/o clutch will know right away it is imposible. LOUD BAND OR GEAR MESHING SOUND.
WOW. within about 4 minutes, this statement got...:eek:wned:

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I love it how people speak about thing they know nothing about. :)

You can shift without the clutch. In fact, if you are very fast you get just hit the clutch pedal quicly to get a faster shift. YOU MUST KNOW what you are doing. Clucthless shifting is very easy on a motorcycle and most riders don't know it's possible either.
Now, downshifting is a different matter, it's trickier.

"power shifting"/"speed shifting", etc....same thing to me.
I've heard either term applied.
Nadim if you can keep the revs high and keep the clutch engagement minimal while working the gear selector very fast, your acceleration will improve.

TT

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Holly **** I learn something everyday! So is there a certain RPM u can do this(clutcless shift)

·
Bahn Burnah
2,360 Posts
GeoMystic said:

Also Agreed:thumbup: it's alll about matching the revs.

·
Registered
294 Posts
gokcer said:
done it thousand of time in my old accord, but only from first, to second gear at a high rpm.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Jeff43 said:

WOW. within about 4 minutes, this statement got...:eek:wned:

:lmao: :lmao:

·
Registered
869 Posts
gokcer said:
yes, there is. I used to do it all the time in my VW GTI 16-valve. I could change gears from through the entire range of gears, except of course, from a stand still to first gear...that would be next to impossible as you'd stall the car. I haven't tried it in my M3, but I'm sure it would work. it's all about matching the revs...too low or high of RPM and you'll grind the tranny. you have to know what you're doing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts