E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

what do you guys think? To good to be true??? :eeps:

links:

pdf files for 320i please see page 8

for others BMW models

Is it worth it for AU$1290 or around US$650???

Or does anyone here using this Powerchip on your ride? Please share it with us...!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok... here's the explanation of the Powerchips...

"What is a Powerchip?

Powerchip™ is a reprogrammed engine management chip, designed to improve the performance of most modern fuel-injected vehicles.

We achieve this by remapping the standard software in your vehicle Electronic Control Unit (ECU), to suit high octane fuel. The result is better throttle response, increased power and torque which results in faster acceleration, and more driving enjoyment!

Powerchip offers a driver the opportunity to extract the true potential from their vehicle, without extensive modification.

The Powerchip is easy to fit, and is backed by a three year warranty, making it the easiest and safest way of modifying most modern vehicles. "

Here, in Oz... I can get 98 RON fuel.... and I always fill up my car with it...! So I guess, if I get this chip...., I'll get the +20kW...
:eek:

·
Registered
224 Posts
If you get it....make sure you dyno your car before you get it installed using the same octane fuel (preferably the same exact fuel) as your going to use when you get the chip put in. The get it dyno'd with the chip in there, and check the increase in HP. This might work, but im guessing your fuel economy goes down the drain, and your car's going to guzzle gas like an SUV. Who know's I might be wrong, if you do go for it though, lets us know how it turns out!
:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I thought the 320 was a diesel :confused:

Chip-

·
Registered
300 Posts
there is a 320 I 6cil petrol in EUROPE :ben: :ben: :ben: ;)
although the gains bezita shows are for 320d or it's bogus

·
Registered
354 Posts
They also have 320i in canada as well.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
davy24 said:
there is a 320 I 6cil petrol in EUROPE :ben: :ben: :ben: ;)
although the gains bezita shows are for 320d or it's bogus

:ben: :ben: :ben: The pdf file shows the the gain for 6 cyl PETROL engine :banghead:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hey bezita... i just read through the whole site.... this company seems like they know what they are doing and 3 year warranty is not bad. 98 OCTANE chipped !!! Too bad we don't have 98 octane here in Canada...i drive a 320i myself too.... the most i can get is the gold 93 octane chip.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I wonder if Jim C. will make a shark injector for our 320i 2.2L.
If so i would definitely buy the shark over the powerchip... just too much hassle for them to ship the equipment and then after we're done, ship it back to them.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I doubt Jim C. going to make Shark injector for our poor 320i...

I think this powerchip is our best chance..., and yes 36 months warranty is not bad at all!

Probably I'm going to get it in a month or two...., do you guys think I should dyno my car before and after I chip my car?

How much usually they charge for a dyno test? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
In Canada, the 320i has a 2.2L, 6-cyl gas engine w/ 168 hp, 155 ft-lbs. There are no BMW diesel models sold in Canada.

20 hp sounds too good to be true, although maybe the 98 octane rating explains it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Too bad we don't get 98 octane here in Canada....highest available is sunoco 94 octane.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Sounds like a pretty reasonable claim for the 325's from Powerchip.

In standard form, the 325i produces 184 hp and 175 lb.-ft.

Powerchip has a range of chips to suit your car, which can increase it's power to between 187 hp and 189 hp, and it's torque to between 178 lb.-ft and 180 lb.-ft. Probably add a CAI and those numbers would probably double in addition to the CAI gain.

I think they revised their numbers though because I was on their old web site about a year ago (the website was revised) and I believe they claimed 193HP. So at least they corrected their original claim and to me that sounds honest. But would you spend $650 for 3-5HP and 3-5Torque without a CAI? Add a CAI with this software and your in double digit gains but at close to $1k for a 13-18HP boost!

They also revised their install! You no longer have to contact a powerchip rep in your area, they send a laptop to you! I ask Jim Conforti about this, I wish he had a similar program but my idea for him was to make his software net based. Here's their instructions:

"Your BMW 325i contains the latest style ECU that can be re-programmed through the diagnostic information port. This plug is located under the bonnet and is re-programmed via a cable connected to a Powerchip Laptop Computer. We will ship a laptop computer and all necessary cords in a case to you so you can reprogram your own car. You simply read and follow the comprehensive instructions (including screen shots and photos) to reprogram the standard chip, and program in the Powerchip. This can be done using no tools, and it is designed so that any home handyman can complete the task, quickly, simply and easily. The standard reading of the car is emailed by you to the Powerchip Upgrade Centre, and we email back the customised Powerchip specifically for your car, and your needs. It is a simple task to install the Powerchip file into your car. You then simply ring and get a Fedex pickup and get the case delivered back to our Upgrade Centre."

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Bezita, it's usually about $75 for 3 runs on a dyno.

Chip-

·
Sofa-king-what
1,986 Posts
some correction on hp

european 320 (2.2) 170hp - 325 192hp
(the old 320 with 2000cc engine produces 150hp)

we have Shell V-power with 99 octane (proud sponsor of Ferrari F1 team)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts