BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the 2000 E46 doesn't have any cigarette lighter plug in the ash tray at the rear of the center console, I am planning on installing one in the ash try, under the tambore cover. Does anyone know the best and easiest source to tap the hot wire (+)? Should I just tap into the ash tray light? I don't think this supplies continous power.

·
Banned
1,191 Posts
NO don't tap into the illumination, not enough current!

Do you want this lighter to be "Always ON" or switched by ignition?

Switched ignition is best grabbed by the ignition harness.

Always ON you can just tap into the existing cigarette wiring behind the shifter.

rk

·
Registered
417 Posts
s4play said:
NO don't tap into the illumination, not enough current!

Do you want this lighter to be "Always ON" or switched by ignition?

Switched ignition is best grabbed by the ignition harness.

Always ON you can just tap into the existing cigarette wiring behind the shifter.

rk
Excuse my ignorance, but is 12volts not 12 volts? I was thinking of doing the same thing, that's is why I ask?

·
Registered
702 Posts
12V is 12V, but unless you want to be replacing fuses all the time go with a adequate power source. Its like putting all the appliances in your house on one circuit.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Oh yeah BTW, since the battery is in the trunk you can run the power from the trunk with a relay and fused of course. The switch for the relay could come from any source you want that turns when you want power.

·
Registered
224 Posts
12 volts is 12 volts - the issue here is current draw (measured in amps), not the voltage.

i.e. the starter motor and the mood lamps both operate on 12v, but the starter draws perhaps 50 amps of current or more - which is why the wiring is as thick as your little finger. The moodlamp wiring is very thin, as it draws a few mA (mA == one thousanth of an amp).

A 12V cigarette lighter probably draws more than 15 amps. You will blow fuses unless you wire this carefully.

Not positive, but looking in the ETK it would appear that there is a retrofit to add outlets in the rear console area (a seperate box).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Retrofit power

If there's a retrofit to add power to the rear console area, I'd like to find out about it before I install the Radio Shack lighter assembly in the ash tray area.

·
Banned
1,191 Posts
well the retrofit is interesting but I never heard of it.

Well said Scott on the current/amperage issue. I can see you are another electronics guy...hahaha :)

I did it myself and save the extra money BMW will charge you.

rk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts