BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My power stearing has been groaning the past two weeks and has progressively gotten worse until i was parking yesterday and heard a pop and lost the power steering. There has been no sign at all of leaks and when i first noticed the noise I made sure to keep the fluid clean by replacing with Mobile1 ATF until it was a clean red color. Ive had the car since new it's an 04 coupe with 160,000 miles so i know that its the original pump. Would there be a leak or any other signs to point to failure? Not sure on what to do aside from just replace the pump. Thanks for you're help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE-

I replaced the pump last friday and everything was fine but i did notice a slight whine but ignored it thinking the pump needed time to work fluid etc. Here I am less than a week and the pump is starting to whine at idle and when parking, its like i am right back where i started. What else is there to replace? Hoses? Resrvoir?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Did you make sure all trapped air was removed from the system? Just for the hell of it, you should take the cap off the reservoir and turn your wheel from lock-to-lock with your engine on a dozen times. I just did mine Tuesday and had to do that at least 20 times due to all the air in the system. Are you sure the "whine" is from your pump and not something else like a bad idler or adjuster pulley?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will definitely give the Cap off and lock to lock a try and hope for the best. The reason i think its the pump is because it sounds exactly as it did before i replaced it. Maybe im describing the sound wrong but the pump for sure will make a little whine if im sitting perfectly still and just slightly move the wheel back and forth and this morning in my inclined driveway was almost as loud as before the pump went out.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
The pump will whine if its on its way out when the wheel is not turned. As the pump heats up the fluid it will become thinner and the pump will whine due to the thin fluid. I would guess that you have some air circulating through the system and thats the reason for the sound.

edit: You did replace the fluid with ATF correct?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When i was flushing the system out before my last pump went out i was using Mobile1 ATF to flush the system. With the new pump I used Royal Purple which was double the price and actually referenced BMW on the back. I didn't replace any of the hoses when i did the pump so that's why im wondering if there could be a clog or something.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
As long as it was Dexron III approved it doesn't matter. I think all power steering hoses are quick release hoses so you could check them if you wanted. It still sounds like air in the system to me. Have you done the lock to lock method described above?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just did the lock to lock and it didnt seem to help if anything its louder. Doesnt the pump making noise mean that its starved for fluid?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Brah call this guy..... Jack from DAI Motorsports he is in Cali 949 364-0954 .......... Hell of a guy. Tell em your a fanatic and Tony referred you to him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts