BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a 2002 325Xi auto. Noted tonight my cap is oozing a bit of oil. Anyone know the diameter and size of the O ring? I have a few places around that sell O rings but I'd like to have one on hand before opening it and messing about if anyone has replaced theirs. Thanks.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind. I found it on another thread. For others on the forum, its 32 41 1 128 333 and I found it on Amazon. Strange, as earlier all I found where debates if there is an O ring on the cap or not. Yes, on my year there definitely is an O ring and it's definitely the cause of the leak - not the vent as some suggested repeatedly.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,177 Posts
FYI: Knight has been kind enough to give them away for a while now.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
PM me a mailing address and I will send one your way.

I've been swamped with work (more so than usual) lately and will be prepping a batch of these to go out to members this week.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Knight - super kind of you to hold yourself out to do this. I'm on a number of auto forums and with the best there are always a few thoughtful folks like you who help move the needle of help using kindness and generosity, but going above and beyond like that. Kudus to you. I've already ordered mine, so hopefully this thread will cause a couple folks to benefit from your largesse. A tip of the hat across the miles from beautiful North Idaho.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent! The dimensions also benefit me because they gave those on the place I ordered and as I didn't have source to verify its the correct size, now I do.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Knight has been Extremely giving and helpful, make sure you get Viton for the material of the O-Ring otherwise you will be looking for a replacement again soon.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow. I'm also planning to suck the reservoir dry, refill with fresh ATF and repeat each time I think of it. Which will probably be each time I use the car for a couple weeks. The fluid has a well used color and may have a corrosive property rough on the O ring and other seals that fresh fluid will help with. Fresh fluid will renew the additive package against foaming, the PH levels, and corrosion, among other benefits.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Put the new O ring on the cap today. Where before when I screwed the cap on, it would bottom hard plastic to hard plastic and have a gritty feel, now its tight with a rubbery stop. So if yours closes with that ergonomic input then your O ring is flattened like mine was and should consider taking Mr. Knight up on this.

I also took a moment to suck the reservoir dry and its nice that my oil changer has a thin enough hose it will sneak past the metal anti-cavitation plate all the way to the bottom. I got a surprising amount out and refilled with clean ATF. The fluid looked original after only 61k miles, but at 18 years its time to start renewing things like this if I expect to extend things lives. Fluid color was an opaque dark red/brown and of course fresh I can see the bottom of the tank through the clear fluid.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Doing the 3rd drain/fill of the day now. Each time I return home I pop the hood and it takes about 3 minutes to drain, fill and shut the hood.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts