BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
BMW 320i 2002 e46 5spd manual RHD
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where i can get a taredown or some pic's of the pump inside, i tried goolge but mostly gives me lf-20 or just shows me the pump.

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,706 Posts
Try this youtube video ... not the best video & lighting quality unfortunately :

Edit: ... aaand from the comments it might be an e39 ps pump, not sure if exactly the same or how helpful this really is.

EDIT 2: I think ps pumps are pretty similar across the board. Here is a better video and the internals look very similar to the crappy video above:

·
Registered
E46 320d touring 2002
56 Posts
This pics are from a pump o got for repair/replacement. The problem in this pumps is the rear needle bearing, with time it gets play. I cant find a replacement for that bearing.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the great responses, i expected there to be some sort of pressure relief valve that could gone out but i guess theres no valve

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whats wrong with your pump?
Intermittently dying, then it works then it doesn't, fluid is to tye right level and still bright red, no leaks... very strange, as all i could think of is a pressure relief valve getting stuck open...i cant see another way for them to fail, (unless its catastrophic failure with the blades inside and im sure that would completely kill it with noise, and not intermittent..

·
Registered
E46 320d touring 2002
56 Posts
Did you inspect if there is play in the pump shaft? When the play is big enought the shaft breaks and it is possible to make contact the two broken pieces and some times not.
I would take the belt off the pulley and inspect for play, also try and pull the pulley

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you inspect if there is play in the pump shaft? When the play is big enought the shaft breaks and it is possible to make contact the two broken pieces and some times not.
I would take the belt off the pulley and inspect for play, also try and pull the pulley
Indeed i read about that and took the belt off, some to no play, like the smallest amount, even tried pulling on it, no play.
(Side note: i read that the LF-20 was known for breaking the shaft, thought i was lucky having the LF-30, but seems they all can fail for no reason other then failing... hopefully can get another 10K km out of it before it completely fails,

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,706 Posts

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,706 Posts
Intermittently dying, then it works then it doesn't, fluid is to tye right level and still bright red, no leaks... very strange, as all i could think of is a pressure relief valve getting stuck open...i cant see another way for them to fail, (unless its catastrophic failure with the blades inside and im sure that would completely kill it with noise, and not intermittent..
Another possibility is one of the hoses breaking down internally and creating a flow restriction ... not sure if that would be intermittent and or accompanied by noise from the pump.

There have been a few threads on here about bad hoses (even bad new ones) taking out the ps system.

Here is a recent one:

·
Registered
E46 320d touring 2002
56 Posts
Op, you can start by changing the atf fluid, how old is it?
Does the steering wheel return to 0 without help on short turns?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Op, you can start by changing the atf fluid, how old is it?
Does the steering wheel return to 0 without help on short turns?
Atf was changed right after i bought it this year, not that it needed changing, just did as pm, yes steering also return to center after a small turn while driving.
I have ill check out the pipes and probably do a tare down of the pump to make sure its all clean inside, thx

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,706 Posts
OP, here is another video (e46 specific) that shows how to diagnose if there is flow in the ps system by draining the fluid reservior to half full, running engine and looking for (a lack of) return flow back into reservior. Fwiw, it also shows the broken shaft problem of the Luk-20 pumps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts