E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did a power steering pump flush... It took all of 15 minutes. I was at AutoZone so I picked up some Mobil 1 MercV auto transmission fluid. I got home and pulled into the garage. I looked for my shop "turkey baster" but it was nowhere to be found. It was then I heard a, "Pssst... Hey Mack!" behind me. I turned around to see the new MightyVac that just came (Merry X-Mas to me!) and I still hadn't used it. I changed the oil only 1000 miles or so ago... So I figured that I would siphon out all the fluid out of the PS pump. It took about 2 pumps and then a few more to make sure all the fluid in the corners and then the drain tube was gone. It was old and dark red... But not black like I have seen on some. I pulled out all I could and then filled it up with the Mobil 1. Then I started the car and went from lock to lock several times with the power steering. Then I shut down and repeated everything. I also took the cap inside and cleaned the crap off of it. I filled it back up and capped it off with the clean cap.

I'll drive around for a few hundred miles (A few days) and then probably flush it again this weekend since it was so easy. It looks like I have enough fluid left for one more fill-up. I was glad that I checked it... The PS fluid was low when I flushed it... Just on the bottom tip of the marker instead of the 2nd line up where it should be.

This is just TOO EASY not for everyone to do themselves! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Yeah, but you only did a small portion of the system because the rack, pump, and lines were still full of the old fluid. That's ok, though, I'm pretty sure ATF has additive packages like motor oil which are "refreshed" by adding a small amount of new oil.

·
Registered
30,059 Posts
You should've replaced the reservoir. you're just contaminating the new fluid with all the crap thats been in there since the car was new.

And I've devised a way to do a complete flush on the E36 M3.. should be similar for this car. Involves pointing the return line in a bucket as you have a friend constantly pour new fluid into the reservoir. You plug the open line (from the reservoir) temporarily with a sharpie or other similar item.

So essentially you stop the rack from circulating the fluid as you keep adding fresh fluid. The fluid pouring into the bucket will start to be bright red/clear. Then you're done

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
You should've replaced the reservoir. you're just contaminating the new fluid with all the crap thats been in there since the car was new.

And I've devised a way to do a complete flush on the E36 M3.. should be similar for this car. Involves pointing the return line in a bucket as you have a friend constantly pour new fluid into the reservoir. You plug the open line (from the reservoir) temporarily with a sharpie or other similar item.

So essentially you stop the rack from circulating the fluid as you keep adding fresh fluid. The fluid pouring into the bucket will start to be bright red/clear. Then you're done
No offense Mango, you're a valued member on here... but the bolded part is hardly true. And it works on any car. OP or others if you do this method just have the person starting the car turn it over, not even start it if possible. It's all too easy to introduce air in the system. That said, a few turns lock to lock will bleed most vehicles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts