E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't done any power steering maintenance on my 330 since buying it about 2 years ago. Right now the car has 82k miles on it and on really cold mornings there is more resistance in the steering and a non-linear feel to it, the best I can describe it as is "flat spots" where there seems to be less resistance and then transitions into more resistance. Again this is only once in a while on extremely cold winter mornings. There isn't any noise to indicate low fluid levels or the pump running dry.

My brother says there may be air in the system but I haven't really had a chance to look at anything.

What do you guys do as maintenance and how often? Specifics on fluids and parts would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
E46 F10 W204 W212
5,171 Posts
At every oil change I change it out. Easy enough because I have an extractor in the garage.

This practice is most likely overkill, but since I have the extractor out to do the oil change, I just do that too. Adds about 3 minutes to my fun.

Sub-consciously I think I change it often in an effort to get rid of my Redline D4 ATF inventory, which I hoarded a while back thinking they were rare.

Paolo

·
Registered
30,072 Posts
The powersteering system is self-bleeding. No air in system.

Best thing you can do is drain the old oil into a bucket and have a friend pour in new fluid as the engine is running. You'll make a mess but its the proper way. Or you can just get a baster and drain/refill the fluid tank multiple times until the fluid is relatively clear. It's also a good idea to replace the reservoir with a new one as there is a filter inside that cannot be replaced short of replacing the actual reservoir ($30)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Start with the fluid like Mango said^^^
fix the problem before you have to spend $300+ for a new pump and maybe even $20 more for a small cracked p/s hose :facepalm: it happened to me...

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
DAMN!
I think I need to do mine. I didn't realize it was so easy.

Once a shop charged me like $100something to change and flush the system on my old 1995 318i when I was a noob so I always assumed it was fancy work.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
DAMN!
I think I need to do mine. I didn't realize it was so easy.
If you want to do a complete flush, this is the only DIY you will ever need. It's much better than the turkey baster method:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414455

Some pages into it, there is also an alternate method without even having to start the engine if you are unable for whatever reason. This was my contribution. :thumbup: I am about to undergo it a second time due to having to swap steering racks since mine is leaking at the pinion bolt. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts