BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My power steering fluid is low cause I have a small leak some where. I want to fill it up so I can take it to the dealer and have the leak fixed (for safety reasons). My question is what brand/type of fluid is it?
The Germans use ATF fluid for power steering.
Can anyone help?

·
Registered
452 Posts
I just got BMW ATF from the dealer when I picked up the two hoses that attach to the power steering reservoir. Both of those lines were cracked and were causing the small leaks. I changed them myself, it was very easy. The hoses with my BMWCCA discount cost me under $100 (forgot the exact price).

·
Registered
54 Posts
E46Pilot said:
My power steering fluid is low cause I have a small leak some where. I want to fill it up so I can take it to the dealer and have the leak fixed (for safety reasons). My question is what brand/type of fluid is it?
The Germans use ATF fluid for power steering.
Can anyone help?
Any Dexron III or equivalent ATF can safely be used in the system.

·
yo mama
1,612 Posts
my hoses are cracked too & I am having my mechanic change the resivoir also because there is a filter in it. $300.. pricey..

is there a DIY for the steering hoses & resivoir replacement?

How can I keep the hoses from cracking? They only lasted 3 years!!!! :mad:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Delirium said:
my hoses are cracked too & I am having my mechanic change the resivoir also because there is a filter in it. $300.. pricey..

is there a DIY for the steering hoses & reservoir replacement?

How can I keep the hoses from cracking? They only lasted 3 years!!!! :mad:
I checked the price I paid for my 2 reservoir hoses Part No: 32-41-1-093-130 "suction pipe" and 32-41-1-094-951 "pressure hose" that I replaced (very easy).......................$24.01 and $39.10 respectively. I am not aware of any reservoir filter let alone any needed replacement. But to replace the reservoir if you really want to is even easier than the hoses.......only 2 bolts.

All you need to do is remove your airfilter housing (so you have more room to work) and unbolt the reservoir with the hoses still attached and turn the reservoir on its side and drain as much of the fluid into something (I used a cut in half gallon jug). Then, detach the hoses at the bottom of the reservoir and drain them as much as possible into the jug. Then you can detach the hoses at their opposite ends (again draining fluid still remaining in the hoses). It is not necessary to drain the entire system.....just be very careful not to get dirt into the system.

Then attach the new hoses (need to purchase some appropriate screw adjustable clamps - got mine from Home depot for about $2). The pressure hose has a special fitting that just needs to be pulled back with your fingers while pulling off and reattaching the hose. Took about half a quart of ATF fluid to refill my reservoir and hoses (fill to reservoir dip stick line, then start car and turn steering wheel several times all the way to both stops, then recheck dip stick and continue to add as necessarry).

Reactions: takobaba

·
Registered
452 Posts
mdvsynthetics said:

For some reason BMW doesn't mention it, but there should be a filter under a false bottom in the reservoir.
Ok, interesting. Thanks. Maybe I'll replace one day............the fluid looked to be in good condition and color. Do you know how often this should be changed? It is not listed in the service interval information, or in the bently manual.

·
yo mama
1,612 Posts
I got it changed by my mechanic who also knew that there was a filter in there. I have 80K + miles so he said that I dont have to but since I have so many miles that he would recommend it. I think I got ripped for $300. But I hope I dont have to deal with it for another 80K mi.

·
Registered
54 Posts
rome5982 said:

Ok, interesting. Thanks. Maybe I'll replace one day............the fluid looked to be in good condition and color. Do you know how often this should be changed? It is not listed in the service interval information, or in the bently manual.
I actually just learned about this myself the other day. I've never seen any mention of it anywhere except in the schematics BMW dealers have. I don't know if there's a recommended interval or not.

·
yo mama
1,612 Posts
oh yeah, I was also told by my mechanic that if the steering fluid continues to leak, it can deteriorate the rubber components in the hood & under the car.. I guess he is talking about rubber bushings, joints, etc... or he was just trying to rip me a new one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts